CFHxPantera

Apr 23, 2016
CRF450r Oil Dissapearing
Hey, I recently got myself a 2004 CRF450r and it's great fun. My first four stroke, whole different ride.

Was missing some bolts, patched it up quick. I ran the bike around the neighborhood, the oil in the sightglass dissapeared like it should. It came back down a few hours later, I did the same thing the next day, this time it didn't come back down? Now the spot around the sight glass, the crank case, has been bone dry. I did an oil change, and a nice amount still came out. Changed the filter too. Put the new stuff in and ran the bike. It dissapeared again so I just added more until I could see it in the glass. The bike doesn't smoke at all

It doesn't have any leaks, just a few drips and spits. When I do run it, It looks like oil gets blasted around the front sprocket and chain guide by the rear axle. It had a top end done about 6 months ago. Ive been calling a bunch of dealers, all around CA and NV, and I've heard everything from it's in the airbox, tranny, its burning, its in the fuel tank, etc. I've done the straight up and down thing. Can't seem to figure it out

Should I just run it, should I take it in? Where the hell is this oil going?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Check to see if the gearbox oil has more volume than it should. Chance are good the seal that separates the crankcase and the transmission is passing oil to the other side. Crankcase and trans are separate on the CRF unlike a lot of Japanese four-strokes that run a shared oil volume.

Top Bottom