thejake456

Sep 24, 2007
ok, i need my cylinder honed out and am gonna do it but was wondering if all you have to do is measure the bore size with a caliper and get the right piston for the size of it??

my one friend told me otherwise but i dont think he really knows what he is talking about!

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Check to see what pistons are available first. I assume it's not plated right? You generally hone to achieve proper clearance.

thejake456

Sep 24, 2007
well right now the bore is 47.80 so i am assuming it is boared 80 over now. and on denniskirk.com they sell a whole piston kit that the bore is 48mm for my bike???

if i do that it would be boared 100 over right???? what cc's would that make it??

tyler_43

Jun 22, 2007
you can't "hone" a cylinder in order to fit a bigger piston in. Honing only takes small amounts of metal off, just to acheive proper clearances. To put a larger piston in you need to BORE the bike out... but seeing how your bike has a nikasil plated cylinder you would have to replate the bore after doing so... which costs $$. Your bike came stock with a 47mm bore and a 47.8mm stroke (82.8cc). I think this is where you get the 47.8 from, as most piston manufactures make pistons in .5mm incriments. What you need to do is get somebody that knows what they are doing to measure the bore and tell you the size... once you find out that information order the correct piston for it. You can find pistons from 47mm to 52mm on www.wiseco.com

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
No, honing is only used to hold lubrication in a plated cylinder. Why do you want to hone it?

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
_JOE_ said:
No, honing is only used to hold lubrication in a plated cylinder. Why do you want to hone it?

Don't forget non-plated cylinders. They are honed also.

TheJake: take your cylinder to a shop and have them measure. If you are correct, you'll have to get it replated or bored and replated to bring it within specs for new or oversized piston.

thejake456

Sep 24, 2007
it now sputters at high rpms and it still cuts out at 1/4 throttle to idle like before. i think it isnt jetted right. could that do it?????

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom