DSelect

Apr 15, 2006
I just got a 2000 KDX and would like to change the engine oil and coolant. But i have yet to get the manual so i was wondering if you guys could tell me what kind and how much oil and coolant i need? Also i used Mobil 1 premix 32:1 is this ok. Thanks for your help

strider80

Feb 3, 2003
.7-.8 liters on the tranny oil (some people run a full quart to reduce noise, I run .8L).

Not exactly sure on the coolant, less than a gallon for sure though.

32:1 Mobil1 is fine (stock ratio, good oil), everyone has their own opinions on oil and ratios though. I run 50:1 Amsoil Dominator, works fine for me.

j32

Uhhh...
Jun 8, 2006
klotz -
they have premix ,crank oil ,filter oil and chain lube
the premix is verry good ,and reduces carbon build up,try 40:1 and check the plug-make sure it isnt too lean,it should be a tan color,if not add a little oil to the mix 38:1
coolent-there are different kinds out there
i have had no problems with regular car antifreeze,the newer cars have alluminum radiators, like bikes do

strider80

Feb 3, 2003
DSelect said:
what type of trany oil should i use and what type of coolant?

Use 4-stroke motorcycle oil in the tranny (10w-40), regular car oil has friction modifiers that can cause the clutch to slip. Diesel engine oil also works well, I use Amsoil 15w-40 heavy duty diesel oil.

I use Maxima pre-mixed coolant but any modern car antifreeze should work.

KDX CRAZY

Sep 22, 2005
Keep your oil mix at 32 to 1 as per manufacturers recommendation , your bike will last longer as it will have the correct lubrication , use a gear oil like Motul transoil .
Best is to get your oil from a bike shop as well as the antifreeze and mix the antifreeze as recommended on the bottle .

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
Motor oil=700cc
Pre-Mix=what ever the OIL MANUFACTUER recommends to be mixed at. Re-jet to any pre-mix change if needed. I run 40:1 using GOLDEN SPECTRO
Coolant=I fill her up, start the bike, tap the hoses to get air bubbles out, than take the cap off and add. I will usually fill to the bottom of the neck, because overfill will go into the overflow tank.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Oil Min 700cc / Max 1 QT. I am not a believer in MC specific transmission oil. Here's what I've used in my KDX tranny over the years that has worked well without busting the wallet: Castrol GTX 20w-50. Shell Rotella T 15w-40 (non-synthetic). It's more important to change your oil frequently than it is to run high-$zoot MC oil (though statements like that have a tendency to start an oil philosophy religious war).

I ran Mobil 1 2T premix for years @40:1, until Autozone stopped carrying it. It's a decent oil.

Coolant I like Engine Ice or Maxima. Fill it til it covers the fins. Bleed the air using the bleed screw on the top of the cylinder. Run it a couple of minutes, and top it off again.

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
I don't use MC specific crankcase oil either. I've used Mobil 1 ATF, regular ATF, TropArtic 5-30, and Pennzoil 10-30 and they've all worked fine. I use 800 cc.

I like Yamalube 2R at 32:1.

Maxima Coolanol, although green car stuff is fine, too.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom