junior64

Jul 30, 2006
I have a 96 rm250. It runs awesome. I stopped riding today to teach my cousin how to jump my atv. I left the gas on and I flooded it. I think!. I kept on cleaning off the plug, it would start and die. Plug was wet, It was getting spark. How do you un flood it. Nothing was coming out of the overflows from the carb. I was pi$$ed. Thanks guys

aussiemarc

Aug 3, 2006
Take out plug (dry it and brush it off)

with plug out - kick engine 15-20 times

Put plug back in start it up.

Its true- if you leave ur bike sitting for extended period turn off fuel valve (spin it horizontal)

j32

Uhhh...
Jun 8, 2006
well the needle and seat might be wore out causing it too flow in to the cyl,there might be fuel in the bottom of it?
at any cost it needs fixed. either a float height adjustment ,or a new needle and seat.
you should be able to leave the fuel on !!! thats the needle an seats job - to shut the fuel off
kick it over with the plug out turn fuel off
good luck

aussiemarc

Aug 3, 2006
i thought due to pressure leak that small amounts of fuel can leak into the cylinder j32 if the bike is static not running with fuel valve on?

j32

Uhhh...
Jun 8, 2006
hi - im not sure about the static?? thing
but if there is a clear vent tube in the top of tank ,and the floats are wore out -or need adjusted ,the gravity will put pressure through the carb and spill fuel into the cylinder i know this from fixing that kind of problem
-and is worse if the tank is under pressure- like the old kawasaki street bikes- they had no off on the petcock-remeber those ?
thats why i said tapp on it to see if stops sometime they stick,or oil /dirt- cloggs up in it.
and replace as needed ,you shoul'nt need to turn the valve off - that is the job of the needle and seat-(to shut the fuel off)-but doesnt hurt to shut it off when done riding :cool: -
hope this clears it up -take care

Top Bottom