Four stroking until warm.....

jgino157

May 17, 2002
My 220 blubbers after a cold start until I wind it out in 4th or 5th and it goes away. Once warm bike runs fine. Normal?????

Thinking about leaning out pilot to a 42 as my air screw is out 2 1/2 turns..... Will this help?

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
i asked that a while ago,seems most everyone has the same .mine cleans up in about 100 ft or so (only time it does it is first start of the day)after warming it up while getting dressed i never just take right off w a cold engine

jgino157

May 17, 2002
I normally let mine warm up for a few also and I'm wondering if maybe its "loading up" during that time. Which is why I might try the 42 pilot. I might add though my bike has never fouled a plug.....before, nor after the mods.

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
When engines are cold the fuel doesn’t like to stay vaporised when it comes into contact with cold metal. This is why you needed the choke to add extra fuel so that some does.

Concern yourself with how it runs after going thru the gears & ignore warm up time mis-running, you should be riding it gently till then anyhow.

ie tune for normal riding conditions

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Normal. Don't worry about it. Even with a good jet-set.

If your AS is set to 2.5 and that's your best throttle response spot, you're probably too rich on your pilot.

'Leaning to 42..' meaning it's what, now?

Checking plug color during a blubbering choke/cold start isn't going to show you anything but a black, wet plug. Doesn't mean anything.

Which has NOTHING to do with the EXC250 I observed last weekend. Cold choke start.....putted up and down the road for a bit of a warm-up..didn't 4-stroke a single time. That was pretty impressive.

jgino157

May 17, 2002
Originally posted by canyncarvr
If your AS is set to 2.5 and that's your best throttle response spot, you're probably too rich on your pilot.

'Leaning to 42..' meaning it's what, now?

Its a 45 right now.......Anything over 2 turns out you should go one pilot leaner....right?????

Let me ask you this now......Is it unusual for 220's to be running a 155 main....Thats what I have in it now, but I dont see many other people running 155's. I have the usual...FMF,TCII,Reeds,No box lid......

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Jetting is always done to fit a specific bike/situation/use. That said, 155 is pretty big. Heck..it's (often) a bit big for a 200!

All the carb circuits work together. A too fat main will effect idle/throttle response performance. That's why you choose the main FIRST when you're running through a jetting sequence.

re: Its a 45 right now.......Anything over 2 turns out you should go one pilot leaner....right?????

That's the rule of thumb, yes.

With the two (pilot of 45 and main of 155), you're likely a bit big all 'round jet-wise.

Not to confuse the issue, but are you still running clip#3 on your needle?

I see a huge improvement in the performance of your bike in your future....time to 'change stuff'!! ;)

jgino157

May 17, 2002
Yes, my clip is the middle position after being moved around a bit.

I decided on the 155 after some plug chops w/ a 152......However I might add that was before I read on this board how to actually read a plug. I was going with the general apperence, which was tan/light tan/almost white at WOT.

I need to do some plug chops again......I think it ran better w/ the 152 but that was last year.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom