Front Suspension on 91' KDX 200

Nah, not being defensive. Sorry about the fat pig kdx250 reference too, it wasn't intended that way. Only as a comparison between the two ;). I would like to have one in the garage. And a KDX420. And an 80.... well and so on and so forth.

It's not to hard to get a fork swap done on the cheap. You just have to be patient, and it helps to know a few people. If you like the bike, it's well worth the effort.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion! Just as I am, and the OP. Don't read too much into my posts either, I just find it silly to tell someone with a great bike that instead of spending a couple hundred to make it even better they should just ditch it and buy something else. AFAIK the op wasn't shopping for another bike, he was trying to improve on the bike that he has already. Nothing wrong with that, right? No offense intended....

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
julien_d said:
I just find it silly to tell someone with a great bike that instead of spending a couple hundred to make it even better they should just ditch it and buy something else. AFAIK the op wasn't shopping for another bike, he was trying to improve on the bike that he has already. Nothing wrong with that, right? .
Which is why I recommended cutting his springs to stiffen them (free), replacing the springs (easy and moderate cost) and adding cartridge fork emulators (moderately difficult and also more costly).

I also recommended a steering damper (expensive, but can be transferred).

All viable options and time tested improvements for his KDX.

Good enough, I can certainly agree. I still maintain a fork swap is best. I do love the KDX, but they sure buggered up on the front suspension. The damper was a good addition to mine, but I'm definitely glad I did the fork swap first. Dampers work well, but not as a bandaid for crappy suspension.

Oh yeah, and just wanted to re-mention, I really like that RM. Super nice bike...

Last edited:
I can tell you one thing about my KDX... I would have been dead on friday if I had choose to ride my 04 wr250 in the crap I went through errr up!

I may take on a fork swap only because I cant seem to abandon the hole bike and rip its engine out to put in a 2003 kx125... I can see why alot of folk do it though the kx handles like a dream and fits me so well

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Some take-off .35 springs from an '95 up are a huge improvement over the .31's in there now, some syn atf fluid and set the sag for your weight, you can get immediate improvement for cheap.

Buy some .40 rate fork springs and put fresh 10 weight fork oil in it. That is going to be your best bang for the buck.

I have had both setups on the same bike. Gold valve cartridge emulators with stiffer springs are a lot better than stock. The fork swap puts in a completely different league. It soaks up terrain that I used to white knuckle through with ease. It also corners better and tracks straighter as well.

Ive been reading everywhere the stock kdx250 springs are too soft and the rebound way too stiff, i have a kdx250 year 94 and the springs definitely are soft when i send even small jumps they reach the end of travel. So will definitely be replacing them with stiffer ones. However, i haven't heard metioned anyone trying some 0w fork oil and turning the dampening clicker all the way out ? Would that not be easier and suffice to soften the dampener?