EK

Dec 3, 2000
GasGas 300XC Review

Here is what Cycle World on-line had to say about the GasGas 300XC:

Eric K
'01 GasGas 300XC

Gas Gas XC300

In the Beefmasters class, we had the Gas Gas XC300 and the bike we named Best Enduro last year, the KTM 520 E/XC Racing. Our experience with Gas Gas motorcycles has been favorable; in fact, a 250cc enduro version almost took top honors a few years ago.

We chose the 300 to represent the smaller-than-usual Open class, sort of a 250 with huevos. We broke-in our Gas Gas with a second-place overall finish in the annual Glen Helen 6-Hour Grand Prix, proving that the bike's durability was up to the high standards set by the other. Our 300 needed only a rear sprocket change during the entire event. These new Spanish bikes are as solid as they come.

Not surprisingly, the Gas Gas is a frontrunner in the rip-your-arms-out-of-their-sockets category, until you learn to treat the throttle with respect. Hard thing coming off a 125! As soon as we figured out that riding the 300 a gear or two high was a good thing, the scenery started going by in blurs. Torque is phenomenal, and the engine revs out with a full spread of power ending in decent overrev for a 300. Typically, big-bore two-strokes fall off pretty hard on top, but not this one.

No doubt the Gas Gas is fast, then, but what about slowing it down? The brakes are strong, but on the touchy side. Riding bikes this fast means a lot of hard braking, which can be tiring until you slow things down a bit and, in effect, start riding faster. You have the power; using it properly is the issue. Use it foolishly and you'll soon feel exhausted and slow.

The 300's suspension is specifically set-up for U.S. enduro and cross-country conditions. It offers a plush, slightly springy ride that soaks up the stuff that deflects more "motocrossy" suspensions such as that on the WR or TM. The downside is that desert racers might need to do a little suspension revalving for high-speed situations, which are easy to get into with the Gas Gas' wide-ratio six-speed gearbox.

GAS GAS XC300
Price
$6874
Weight
236 lb.
Fuel capacity
2.8 gal
Seat height
37.6 in.
Footpeg height
16.0 in.
Ground clearance
12.9 in.
Wheelbase
58.0 in.

Ups
Power to spare, torque for all
Versatile six-speed gearbox
Super stable and great-turning

Downs
You pay up front for what you'd buy later
What the heck is a Gas Gas?

shawn sharp

May 14, 2001
Re: I Love My Gas Gas!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Shawn1
My only complaint would be changing oil, they could have made the hole bigger. You'll need to come up with a very small funnel.
Shawn

Shawn,

I stole my wife's turkey baister. The things you can find in the kitchen!

Top Bottom