bike'r steve

Apr 1, 2002
ok ... as some of you know i have been looking for a bike (93-96 kx250)
well i have went an seen/rode a few through the cycletrader and though some have been in descent shape (others havent) none have been in GREAT shape. im i getting too picky for the amount of cash (2k) i have??
i should i hold tight for that "just right bike" or should a get the next so-so bike?? im a instant gratification type guy(useally) and it's killing me not finding a bike. so.... whats your thoughts on this??

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Hang and build the pot, It's going to be tough finding a ride in great shape for 2k, but you never know

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Definately check the recycler, I've sold and bought most of mine through there. Good luck

bike'r steve

Apr 1, 2002
thanks a45elk, i looked through the recycler in my area (san diego) and there was a couple bikes, although i little older than i wanted but at least i have another source for searching

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Bike'r: it would be worth the wait. With layoffs and the off-season coming, there will be more coming available. And San Diego, tho being as large as it is, doesn't have as many resales/used bikes (I looked thru the local pubs for 3 months) as say the LA basin. Have you tried recycler.com or cyclebuys/cycle trader online? I know it's out of your way. Consider out of state too, as shipping thru Forward air is relatively cheap for the service offered.

By targeting a singular bike in a narrow range, the chances of ending up with someone's neglected machine-trash or implosion-waiting-for-a-place-to-happen is greater. I suggest broadening your brand/year selection.

'ol89er has a clean, low-hours early 90's CR250; not the latest tech, but if it doesn't work out, being a Honda it has reasonable resale value & could carry U thru until you find what you really want.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by placelast

'ol89er has a clean, low-hours early 90's CR250; not the latest tech, but if it doesn't work out, being a Honda it has reasonable resale value & could carry U thru until you find what you really want.

Thanks for the plug John.

I think I already talked to bike'r steve about my CR. If he is the same guy as Steve from San Diego??? When I told him it had a small tear in the seat cover he decided not to come to look at it.

Maybe he is just a little TOO PICKY... :scream: :)

Seriously though Steve, if you havn't found a bike yet you might want to check out my CR. Mechanically it is in great shape and I'll even put a new seat cover on it for you. ;)

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
It needs a new cover, it's got skid marks from 9er when he couldn't control his functions!!:p:):):moon:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Hey elk. Were you a proctologist (sp) before you were a meter maid?? :moon: :moon: :)

Actually, the thing is so damn fast, it scared the crap outta me. :scream:

Last edited:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
LOL:):):)

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Bike'r

Here's the tel. # for a '94 I saw in the Cycle Trader (Orange Co.), $2300 OBO: 714-899-8962. There's another, a '98, for $500 more; I'd coose the latter if ya can.

bike'r steve

Apr 1, 2002
yep same steve, i had my heart set on a kx just because i have had kaws before and they treated me right. the thing that scared me away was the cylinder, you said something like the webbing on the cylinder (exhaust port i believe is thin) thanks for your honesty!! sorry don’t remember the details, what year is the bike again? is it a good year for cr's? how much? i really dont know much about honda except my 200x
RIPPED seat it can't be good :)

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by bike'r steve
the thing that scared me away was the cylinder, you said something like the webbing on the cylinder (exhaust port i believe is thin) thanks for your honesty!! sorry don’t remember the details, what year is the bike again? is it a good year for cr's? how much

Steve.

The bike is a 91. What I said about the cylinder is that they have a webbing in the middle of the exhaust port. This is an area that wears more than the rest of the cylinder. There is a little wear in this area and if the bike were to need anything in the future it would be to have the cylinder replated. This can be done for under a couple hundred dollars thru Eric Gorr. You could get many rides out of it without doing anything at all, but if you want it perfect, I would recommend sending the cylinder to Eric.

The rest of the bike has been completly rebuilt from the frame up. ALL bearings, bushings and seals either renewed or replaced. Frame repainted. Engine completly rebuilt. New piston, rings, rod & big end assembly. New seals, bearings, clutch plates. Aprox 5 rides on new engine.

Has Race Tech Gold Valves in forks and shock. Race Tech springs in forks, Renthal bars, Acerbis hand guards, Alloy Graphics frame guards, pipe guard and skid plate, Scotts steering damper mount, (no damper), extra plastic.

The 91 Cr's had very fast engines, but harsh suspension. The Gold Valves took care of that. I was asking $2,000, but will take $100 off for the seat cover.

Let me know if you want to see it and ride it.

Ol'89r

bike'r steve

Apr 1, 2002
Ol'89r
thanks for taking time out to explain it again, couple questions, i did a little homework on the 91 cr and read on eric gorrs site that the later model cr's up to 91 power vavles could be problematic
""The next generation HPP was used on the 1986-91 CR250. This system featured two sliding valves that operated within close proximity of the piston and effectively varied the exhaust port time-area in accordance with rpm. The square valves moved horizontally through a valve guide. The system was plagued with a mixture of design problems and misinformation on how to service and re-time this complicated exhaust valve arrangement.""
are the powervalves as complicated as he says? i know oil/fuelmixture has to do with alot on how fast the powervalves get carbon upped and stuck but have you had problems with this?
is the power either on or off or is it pretty linier (smooth)
i know iknow, just ride the damn thing and find out.
i just dont want to waste your time unless im truly interested in buy it.
i will be mainly riding the dunes but would like to go to the moutains for trail riding, im not looking for a bike that is peaky or has been ported for top end, but like everyone else more power is better.
sorry for being a pain in the a$$, email me with your phone # i'll drive up take a look and probably just buy it and get this bike shopping over.
going to gordons for memorial.
and how bad is that seat ripped :)

Last edited:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Steve.

The only problem that I ever had with the power valves is when I ran 927 oil in the pre-mix. They did clog up after a few rides. After changing to Yamalube-R I never had any problems. The Yamalube-R burns much cleaner.

I have a service manual that goes with the bike and it does a good job of explaining how to set up the power valves. There again, never had a problem. I will show you how to do this.

The engine is completly stock, no porting done. The 91 is peakier than the latest models, but nothing you can't deal with. Would be a great dunes bike and works very well on trail. It has spent most of its life on trail.

If you want to ride it, let me know. No bother, there are trails around my house we can go on. Just bring your riding gear.

Ol'89r

Last edited:

bike'r steve

Apr 1, 2002
well lets hook up this weekend, im going on a bike ride this saturday (street bike) or i have fridays off if you have time today, call me or email me with your number.
858-270-7654 roadx@san.rr.com
look at above post i changed :)

Last edited:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Steve.

I overestimated the size of the hole in the seat. I think I told you it was about the size of a quarter, but it is really a little smaller than a dime.

I will go out and rip it a little more if it will make you feel better. :)

I will call you. ;)

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
bike'r steve.

I talked to my friend with the KX250 and he already sold it.

Found this one you may be interested in. It's not a 250 and it's a little more money, but it would make an excellent dunes ride.

'93 KX500. Green stickered, desert ready, exc. condition. $2.400.
Call. 909-688-7122

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom