Earthpilot

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
GNCC Results Rd 13 – Iron Man GNCC – Crawfordsville IN – 10.20.02

GNCC Title Goes To The Wire

Needing only a podium finish to clinch the GNCC title, Rodney Smith (SUZ) put an exclamation point on his season with a win over title hopeful Fred Andrews (KAW) at the Iron Man GNCC. Sunny skies and cool temperatures mixed with mud, ruts and long fast creek beds which challenged riders at the final race of the 2002 season.

At the green flag Englishman David Knight (YAM) rocketed into the lead, setting a blistering pace with Smith and Andrews in pursuit. Series contenders Mike Lafferty (KTM) and Mike Kiedrowski (SUZ) suffered poor starts and began to work through the pack.

While leading Knight experienced a clutch problem near the halfway mark, pitting for repairs. The lead duo of Smith and Andrews continued to charge as Lafferty and Chuck Woodford (KAW) gained ground on the leaders.

With two laps remaining Lafferty had pulled ahead of Woodford, setting his sights on Smith and Andrews who were 15 seconds ahead. With the top three riders all going for the championship any mistake would prove costly, however all three never faltered and rode the last two laps in the same positions.

At the checkers it was Rodney Smith winning by 4 seconds over Andrews, with Lafferty finishing a minute behind the leaders. David Knight recovered and rode to an impressive fourth overall in his first ever GNCC event. The win brought Smith his fourth GNCC
overall championship and second tile in a row.

Final Results – Men’s Pro Motorcycle
1. Rodney Smith SUZ
2. Fred Andrews KAW
3. Mike Lafferty KTM
4. David Knight YAM
5. Chuck Woodford KAW
6. Doug Blackwell HON
7. Josh McLevy YAM
8. Barry Hawk YAM
9. Robbie Jenks YAM
10.David Fretigne YAM

Final Standing Overall Mens Motorcycle
1. Rodney Smith
2. Fred Andrews
3. Mike Lafferty
4. Mike Kiedrowski
5. Jason Raines
6. Chuck Woodford
7. Robbie Jenks
8. Barry Hawk
9. Brian Garrahan
10. Randy Hawkins

Earthpilot

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
I will let wheelieB tell you about his Ironman experience...
as far as clean bikes and helmet,, I do clean them up good
to get them really dirty again,,or plant them into a convienent
bushy green tree when I blow a turn on the trail!

Oct 10, 2000
Yes, Earthpilot is our riding "Buddy" that likes the 500 real well.........you know what, out of all the helmets I saw him clean he never touched mine cause he couldn't get close enough cause of the smell...lol

The Ironman was cool (like always) at the start they were playing Ozzy's/Blacksabbath's I AM IRONMAN over the load speakers getting the riders and spectators pumped. My race ended short as I had a high speed run in with a tree bending my bars to the point of no return....Oh well theres always next year.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Sorry to hear about the crash. I hope to make it down next year to watch the race.
Are you going to the National Enduro next weekend? I think the group from Michigan is planning to be there to watch Lafferty wrap up the championship.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom