Had '00CR250-> '02 CR or YZ250 next?

Wild Hare

Aug 9, 2001
Air Filter - Bike in question in AZ was BRAND NEW with the STOCK...as in the one that shipped with it, Air Filter. Everyone I ride with is WELL AWARE that the old Filters don't fit.

BT - I've only about a tank of gas through the YZ. This is all in comparision to my '00 CR250 with a Fatty pipe and a PV spacer....So far, well it's the motor, like I said before "Roll On" in the corners is much more controllable, much MUCH stronger. I can just roll on an exit under control with more speed than I could with the '00 CR. It pulls without a hitch all the way to a surprisingly good top end and over rev! It's SMOOOTH and Strong...I though you couldn't "have it all". Bottom line, the motor is fast...Easily faster than my '00CR and more importantly...easy to go fast with! :D Suspension is very stiff so far, but it needs to break in...I'm 217 so it must feel VERY stiff to lighter guys! :eek: I've got heaver springs on order but I'll wait until things break in a bit to install them. I believe some of the "STIFF FRAME" stuff in the Mags is really the fork...that puppy is Supercross stiff. IMHO- It's easier to fix suspension than motor. Bike feels light and nimble...handling is a lot like my Honda, except I think the Yamaha tracks a line better. Brakes have good feel and I like the new lay out...it's easy to get forward in turns. All in all, I think the YZ is best bike by far for a novice like me. :)

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
Wild I have about 8 hrs on my '02 YZ125 at first the forks were really stiff feeling mostly noticable in the mid to almost bottoming protions of the fork. Back out the compression two clicks and maybe the rebound 2 for good measure this made it plusher and took away that stiff harsh feeling it was giving. But now that the suspension is broken in its no longer got that stiff feeling. I haven't backed the compression clickers back to stock to check but I can tell. You might want to do an oil change at no more then 10 hrs on the suspension my front forks now are kinda sluggish and seems to sag alittle more than new nothing major but you can notice it. I have only trail ridden the bike twice all my time has been on a track. But I'm on the lighter side of the rider scale so my settings may suck for you. I'd though you'd really like the YZ's motor from what i'm reading the CR went backwards. oh ya and to comment on the honda having better fit n finish I think yamaha is right up there and besides if honda was the king of details how come CR's don't come with AOF clutch perches and excel rims?! hmmm. Even the zip ties on the YZ are reusable kind wasn't the case on my CR. So IMO yes honda has awesome quality but yamaha has caught right up with them and surpassed them in some areas. Both bikes are insanely close and equal. Personally I feel that honda's 2 strokes are going backwards in performance especially in the motors especially the 125! The CRF's are here to stay.

Coop37

Oct 4, 2000
Originally posted by grunk250r
COOP the airbox sealing thing has NOTHING to do with the airbox on the 02'CR250...it's the new filter design. Honda has had the same filter FOREVER so people are just ASSUMING they can throw a previous year filter in an 02'...BAD NEWS....it don't seal right. So this problem is NOT a manufacturing problem or anything of the sort.

Grunk250r, You better check your air filter cages on the 2002 cr250, as it looks like they are not bottoming out aginst the rubber seal in the air box?
As this would be a real bad "fit and finish" problem !

grunk250r

Nov 16, 1999
For some reason, the 02's have a few little "humps" built into where the filter seals, not sure why they designed them there....it's odd. Hope someone can shed some light on this!!! the 450 has a diffrerent filter shape etc., but the sealing edge has the same little round "bumps"...I think there's 4 of em'....hmmm.

Big Tuna

Nov 29, 2000
Mine seems to have a snug fit around the outside of the filter. is there anything specific a guy should watch for, or is it just a matter of making sure you have that snug fit? How noticeable is the gap on the ones that don't fit properly?:eek:

ride_red_15

Uhhh...
Oct 14, 2001
ive got an 02cr250 and its one of the fasest ive ridden..great response and easy to handle,but i havent ridden an 02 yz so i cant really compare

joe:confused:

DKT735

Sponsoring Member
Mar 16, 2000
Notchy Shifting

I'd recommend changing your gearbox oil more often at first. After I put the first 1/2 hour on the bike I changed the oil and alot of small metal particles came out. The tranny seems to work better after you get some time on it. I have about 4 hours on mine and it shifts good.

Top Bottom