keelusaf

Mar 7, 2007
my 97' RM250 runs great, once its started. it takes a good 5 to 10 kicks to get it to start but once i get it started it runs perfect, no power loss at any rpm or anything. after it i has warmed up, it will start first kick no problem. anyone got any advice on what to replace, if anything, to get it to start on one or two kicks? or am i just out of luck since its an older bike?

Feb 20, 2007
Usual things like fresh rings, a decent carby clean paying special attention to where the fuel is sucked in to the choke passage, reeds sealing ok? Using full choke when starting? I usually drain any stale fuel from the bowl of the carby before starting as the motor gets a nice fresh mixture. :cool:

keelusaf

Mar 7, 2007
yeah, the reeds are fine. i usually give a kick or two without the choke before i fully choke it. okay, i give the suggestions a try this weekend and see how it pans out, thx for the advice.

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
actual mechanic said:
Usual things like fresh rings, a decent carby clean paying special attention to where the fuel is sucked in to the choke passage, reeds sealing ok? Using full choke when starting? I usually drain any stale fuel from the bowl of the carby before starting as the motor gets a nice fresh mixture. :cool:

I agree to all.

Check: reeds, compression, rings, carb cleaning, float level and jetting. Don't forget a new plug. And clean and lube all eletrical connections.

Hard starting when cold and easy sarting when warm might be rings. Once the piston and rings warm up and expand the top end would have a higher compression.

Test compression when cold and warm, I bet you get different numbers.

earl pittz

Uhhh...
Mar 9, 2007
I have been having the same exact problem too, except with a 1984 CR 500. I know it has fresh gas, I just replaced the piston and rings (good compression), carb is fully cleaned.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom