JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
We all need to check out www.arb.ca.gov after 4/15, there will be information in there that is going to piss off alot of people.

I spent 10 mins on the phone with the DMV and 75 mins on the phone with the ARB, to much info to remember.

but it's not looking good for dual sproters that are not street certifiable by the Manufacturer and even worse for guys that have bikes purchased outside the US

And no it's not a enviro issue, it the bike manufactures that cause this BS.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Sounds like they are sticking to the idea that if it isn't street certifiable, it ain't getting registered for the street. I know they are trying to crack down on the Canadian bikes but not sure about what's happening with already registered ones. Jeff, I'll make a call next week and talk to DMV in Sact and the ARB and find out the scoop. Hopefully I'll have good news.

JPIVEY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
All bikes purchased outside the US and have been currently registered will have all registrations revoked, ie: a bike purchased from Canada will have all registration revoked, No Red, No Green and No plate, it will be for private property use only.

All plated off-road bikes that are not street certified by the manufacturers will have their plates revoked.

Somewhere in the paperwork for the bike is a code # that signifies that it is street certified, in most, if not all cases, ktm left this blank, so there is no way to tell if it's certified or not.

As far as the DMV is concerned, it is going to do what the ARB dictates as far as registration, according to the ARB, the DMV is in hot water over pass registrations and could be forced to review all registration back to 1997 if they're lucky, if someone wants to be a real dick, they could be forced to go back as far as 1977, thats how long it's been since the ARB has been butting heads with the Motorcycle industry over air quality

Like I said above, checkout www.arb.ca.gov after 4/15/03 it's suppose to be all there

Last edited:

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Anybody know the name of the lawyer that sued the state over the $300 smog impact fee? This sounds like it's going to infringe on interstate commerce and might get the feds involved. I don't see how they could prevent an out of country bike from being registered in the state if it is not a 'new' vehicle - ie been owned more than 90 days.

I'm going to be pissed if they try to revoke the license plates off my '99 WR and my wife's '92 XR. Might just have 'move' to WA or OR real soon....

Brian

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by RMjeff
Looks like I will be selling my bike to my in-laws in Arizona.

Jeff.

Ya think they would be interested in buying the XR Valdeze? :scream: Cheap.

It will be interesting to see how they deal with the out-of-state issue.

This whole thing is getting beyond ridiculous. :|

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Hummmm.... I see a interesting little side business coming together. :)

I would think the Valdeze would be exempt. Dont historic antiques get special plates?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by RMjeff
Hummmm.... Dont historic antiques get special

:scream: You talki'n about me or the Valdeze?? :confused: :) :moon:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I doubt they will be able to revoke all reg's like they say. If you come from outta state, they can't say you won't be able to register the bike. They will be in hot water if they try this, it'll be like nvr said, the $300 impact fee went on the wayside. As to revoking legally registred XR, WR etc. stuff, that won't happen, the bikes meet the standards for the street and that hasn't changed. And 89er is great grandfathered in with his XR valdez/historical vehicle plate!

If a bike from Canada meets US specs and therre is a letter from the manufactyrer certifying this, a class action lawsuit is in order. People bring in vehicles from all over the world and they get registered if they are brought up to US standards. Vehicles made in Canada are sometimes made to meet US specs right from the get go, so they can't stop those from coming in. The only problems will be vehicles made in Canada for Canada only, then they will have to go through an importer so they can meet US and DOT specs. Unfortunately, a lawyer getting involved will be the only way to resolve this, but everyone has to get together on it as well.;)

JPIVEY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Good points Carlo, this is going to be as screwed up as the Red/Green sticker thing.

Top Bottom