tracetrimble

Oct 20, 2005
hey all, first post. this looks like a great site. i bought an old RM250 yesterday, and cannot for the life of me find the year model anywhere on it. from what i've been able to find on the net (not much), i think it's about an 87 model. here's a pic, any help?

DSCF0099.jpg

this is a pretty fun, light little bike, and it's running pretty well as is. how available are parts?

Jun 12, 2005
www.bikepics.com/suzuki/rm250, you can match your bike up with one of the years on that site or right down the VIN stamped on your frame and phone up a local suzuki shop and get them to tell you the year. Premix ratio all has to do with your jetting and the kind of riding you do. I would stick with 50:1, i ride a kind of old bike which all of them are usually used for recreation so 50:1 would be good.

tracetrimble

Oct 20, 2005
thanks. this bike appears mostly stock, so i'll go with 50:1. the only mod i've found is someone cut breather slots thru the side panels and i assume the airbox, and put screen behind them.

i thought to look over some of the exploded views on bikebandit, and i am now convinced it is an 87. and, it looks like i missed upside-down forks by one year! :bang:

tracetrimble

Oct 20, 2005
the only difference i found between 86 and 87 is the color of the graphics on the seat - mine are white like most of the 87's that looked to have stock seats on bikepics (thanks, btw). the 86's seemed to be yellow.

so... is there any aftermarket left for these bikes? i've found some reeds & piston kits on ****, but that's about it.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Just for an FYI that bike came from the factory with a recommended premix ratio of 20:1 I would never use 50:1 in an old bike like that and would likely never go beyond 32:1 for a newer bike. The VIN number on the steering tube will tell you exactly what year it is based on the 10th digit of the 17 digit VIN. IF the 10th digit is a G it's an 86, if it's an H it's an 87.

tracetrimble

Oct 20, 2005
thanks very much! this is exactly the kind of help i need. i'm used to the tags on the neck that show the year, but all this one has is the VIN. i have noticed the RM250G/H/J model numbers in that year range as well.

20:1 is the heaviest on oil i've ever heard of, any idea why? any suggestions for crankcase oil?

also, i'm really having a hard time finding any online resources for this bike, any help there?

sorry for all the idiot questions. i'm a Honda thumper / cruiser guy. haven't had a 2 stroke since i was about 12. thanks for all the help.
:cool:

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
tracetrimble said:
thanks very much! this is exactly the kind of help i need. i'm used to the tags on the neck that show the year, but all this one has is the VIN. i have noticed the RM250G/H/J model numbers in that year range as well.

20:1 is the heaviest on oil i've ever heard of, any idea why? any suggestions for crankcase oil?

That VIN number should be 17 digits long, count to the tenth digit, if it is a G it's an 86 if it's an H it's an 87.

All Suzuki's from that era came with a premix ratio recommendation of 20:1 just as most come with a recommendation of 30 or 32:1 nowadays. If you have no idea what the previous owner jetted the bike to run on for safety I would pick a ratio between 20 and 32:1 and then jet the bike for that ration. I run my 86 125 at 20:1 and don't see a drop of spooge out of it.

For the gearbox I would pick any 10-40 oil that does not contain fricition modifiers. In my 86 I use cheap Castrol 10-40 and change it every ride or two.

This site will likely be as good as any for online information for the bike. As far as parts most will still be available through your Suzuki dealer or that evil auction site. I had a heck of a time finding a new pipe for my 86 to the point a had a local welder go to town fixing my badly mashed original pipe.

tracetrimble

Oct 20, 2005
just ran around the block on it a few times & got it really warm, and man it really screams! the suspension is really soft, though, and the cockpit feels pretty cramped. doesn't help that i'm 6'-3" and 210 lbs, i'm sure, along with the old swayback-seat ergonomics. does Racetech or anyone still make springs for these?

anyway, lots of fun for what i have in it. all the gears seem smooth, easy to find neutral, starts within 3 kicks... thanks again.

RM Deamon

Aug 30, 2005
I used to have an 88 RM 250 which I ran yamalube R at 40:1.
One of the best bikes I ever owned. Really hated getting rid of that one.
I think I ran Belray gear oil in the tranny.
Definitely an oldie but a goodie :)

Top Bottom