klx650r

Jan 3, 2002
Hi, had a couple questions about my 95 klx 650R bike. I bought this bike last fall, and haven't had a chance to ride it too much, but I feel it needs more power. Doesn't seem to be too much about this bike I can find out, as they are pretty rare. This sounds stupid with it being a 650 and all, to be lacking in power, but it's heavey and I'm used to 2 stroke power, and the 650 seems to lag, and it will not wheelie in 3rd, even though I've geared down to a 12 / 51 sprocket combo instead of the 13 / 49 that it had. The top end however is scary fast. I've read various things on the klx 300's having web carbs that were not pumper style, and it seems everyone puts a pumper carb and a bigger breather hose on the motor on a klx 300, to get rid of the lag. Do these mods apply to the 650? and would they add more power than say a white brothers pro meg silencer addition? (or some other pipe) In other words what is the most bang for the buck mod to do? Should the mesh be trimmed out of the airbox, airbox lid be modded? Also, does anyone know of ANYWHERE that sells any aftermarket plastic or electric cooling fans etc? Parts from kawasaki on this bike are so high it's ridiculous. example, 1 right side radiator, $400, 1 electric fan $300 etc etc. Thanks for any help

DanS

Sponsoring Member
Dec 6, 2000
I had one of those bikes for awhile. I got more power by going to a Supertrap exhaust, rejetting, and pulling the lid off the airbox. After doing this it made some pretty good power. It was just too heavy so I went back to CR500.

Lobster

Jan 7, 2002
There is a Yahoo group geared towards the KLX/KLR bikes. Do a search in yahoo for KLR groups and it will send you there. I have a KLR and the bottom end is lacking. I put on a Supertrapp IDS, cut out the top of the airbox, and added a jet kit and it helped.

I think the KLX has a Nikasil liner as opposed to the iron liner in the KLR. White Brothers had some internal stuff, but I don't know how much you want to spend.

www.arrowheadmotorsports.com deals primarily with thumpers and Fred(?) can help answer the more technical questions.

Jul 8, 2008
Klx650

Hi,
I have 2 of these excellent bikes, used on the street because of their weigh. An excellent street bike.

A couple of pointers after reasding some posts.

The KLX and KLR engines are quite different. The only common component is the carb!

A Dyno jet stage 2 kit is the way to go and get rid of the stock exhaust first

Big Gun used to make an exhaust system, unfortunatly no longer available. I think the suppertrap is crap. Thrown one out. There is a firm in UK that makes an excellent, complete stainless steel system. I could pass on the info, but costs about $600. I have one and intend to get another.

Megacycle cams do 3 cam profiles up to full race. The middle profile is probably the best all round power improvement. All this should put you up to about 60 bhp, maybe more.

JW pistons do a 10.5 cr forged piston. I am just fitting one and replacing valves right now.

I used to have a KLR 650, then I bought a KLX...sold the KLR and bought another KLX (my wife rides them as well)

Regards,
Brian

justoni355

Jul 10, 2008
re brian how did it perform

b-savory-williams said:
Hi,
I have 2 of these excellent bikes, used on the street because of their weigh. An excellent street bike.

A couple of pointers after reasding some posts.

The KLX and KLR engines are quite different. The only common component is the carb!

A Dyno jet stage 2 kit is the way to go and get rid of the stock exhaust first

Big Gun used to make an exhaust system, unfortunatly no longer available. I think the suppertrap is crap. Thrown one out. There is a firm in UK that makes an excellent, complete stainless steel system. I could pass on the info, but costs about $600. I have one and intend to get another.

Megacycle cams do 3 cam profiles up to full race. The middle profile is probably the best all round power improvement. All this should put you up to about 60 bhp, maybe more.

JW pistons do a 10.5 cr forged piston. I am just fitting one and replacing valves right now.

I used to have a KLR 650, then I bought a KLX...sold the KLR and bought another KLX (my wife rides them as well)

Regards,
Brian

just a quickie mate i am looking to make more power with the klx 650 r just wondering what valves etc you used and the piston clearences you use with your forged piston.
i am looking at getting a new set of cams from mega cycle.?
can yopu let me know how it went

Jul 8, 2008
Kibblewhite valve, springs and seals.

0.0035 skirt clearance.

Megacycle cams regrind on your cores, look up there web site.

They regrind on your cores.

in case you dont know, be very care full repairing (cutting, lapping) valve seats or you will run out of clearance. (a new head according to Kawasaki!)

Jul 8, 2008
justoni355 said:
just a quickie mate i am looking to make more power with the klx 650 r just wondering what valves etc you used and the piston clearences you use with your forged piston.
i am looking at getting a new set of cams from mega cycle.?
can yopu let me know how it went

Hi,
It went very well, Runs with more grunt, havnt dynod it but its more. Kibblewhite valves part# 40-4356H & 40-4357H, springs 40-4089, stock retainers and locks ok, springs good for 0.5in lift with oil seals part # 700 100019. JE piston part# 129225 complete with rings, pin and locks.
Have fun

justoni355

Jul 10, 2008
b-savory-williams said:
Hi,
It went very well, Runs with more grunt, havnt dynod it but its more. Kibblewhite valves part# 40-4356H & 40-4357H, springs 40-4089, stock retainers and locks ok, springs good for 0.5in lift with oil seals part # 700 100019. JE piston part# 129225 complete with rings, pin and locks.
Have fun

Thanks for the info, where did you purchase your kibble white valves etc. i have purchased a je 10.5-1 piston i just need to get the rest of the gear together.if you could let me know where i can purchase these products because over here in australia no body really stocks anything performance for these bikes , well that i have found any way .

thanks for help

Jul 8, 2008
Kibblewhite valves I got from Web Camshafts, +1 951 369 5144 I had to wait about 5 days while Kibblewhite made them! any way they were back ordered. I doubt any one will keep them on the shelf. Valves, seal and springs came to around $375. The valves are $55 each, but you get 2 sets of springs under the part # I gave you. KLX parts are hard to find anywhere! Web Camshafts also do, obviously, cams for the KLX too.
Best Wishes

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
I installed a Del'orto pumper carb (40mm) with a canister style K+N. Old school, I know, but it was far better than the stock carb. Throttle response was great, as was HP. My buddy had a stock one. Prior to mods we were even. After mods, my bike ran away from his, very quickly!

I also modified the stock muffler by cutting it apart, gutting the aft baffles out and fabricating a 2 inch glass pack core. This creates a nice sounding silencer that looks stock but has no restriction. I am a machinist, so the job was done with care.

I did no internal mods. They were not necessary!

justoni355

Jul 10, 2008
thanks for the info, i have a fcr 39 mm flatslide carb to go on it.
I have recently purchased a yoshi pipe for it , i am fabricating the header to be 2". i have the kibble white valves , springs and retainers. i have put a new ebc clutch kit in it, i am hoping for approx 60 hp. we will see, i have a mate doing the head etc who does alot of sidecars etc. as for the cams , i have to get my cores off to webcams , and have them ground.
i just bought a k and n air filter for it,the piston that i had purchased did not turn up, atv unlimited, nor did i get a refund. whats funny though they kept saying they were on backorder, everything else i purchased turned up with no dramas, who knows?

Stretch1918

Mar 19, 2016
thanks for the info, i have a fcr 39 mm flatslide carb to go on it.
I have recently purchased a yoshi pipe for it , i am fabricating the header to be 2". i have the kibble white valves , springs and retainers. i have put a new ebc clutch kit in it, i am hoping for approx 60 hp. we will see, i have a mate doing the head etc who does alot of sidecars etc. as for the cams , i have to get my cores off to webcams , and have them ground.
i just bought a k and n air filter for it,the piston that i had purchased did not turn up, atv unlimited, nor did i get a refund. whats funny though they kept saying they were on backorder, everything else i purchased turned up with no dramas, who knows?

Hi I know this is an old thread. Did you get around to making the 2" header?
I have a KLX650R with an HSR42 on it. When I bought it it wasn't running right pishing way too much fuel in. After some rejetting its running better. Just wondering if a bigger header would be able to take advantage of the bigger carb.

Top Bottom