Holy Smokes... my wife is interested in riding...

Bruce

~SPONSOR~
Nov 12, 1999
Be still my pounding heart. Thought this day would never come.
The Lovely Anita announced last night that she might want to try dirtbiking with me and our twelve yr old son.

Her thinking is two fold:
a) she may be missing out
b) she doesn't want to be remembered by her son just for cleaning and cooking (her words).

Her concerns:
a) she's gonna be 47 (no big deal), but afraid of getting hurt
b) she is susceptible to carpal tunnel pain in her forearms (kinda like arm pump I guess).

My approach:
a) wrap her wrists with elastic bandages
b) take her to the local parking lot and have her try the PW80.
c) take her off road.

Money's a problem (bikes ain't cheap here in Canada), so new is out of the question. I'm sure she'll never be a racer (fine with me), so what do I look for... XR 80, xr100... ????
Please help me out ladies...

Thanks,

mackay

Jan 7, 2002
Hey there Bruce...Sounds like your in for a great riding season. I bet an XR100 or 200 would be a great starter bike (there should be a few kicking around come spring) . Have you checked the classified ad's at atlanticmx.com ? Its not just racing stuff there...lots of trail bikes too!
I know a few really easy trail rides here in Riverview if you want a 20-30 Km ride, its all logging roads and my son had no problems on his Z50 last year.
Lets try to coordinate a spring ride on Caledonia Mountain with as many people that we can muster up...I should be able to get 6-8 other riders.
Hope the Holidays were good to you and I look foward to getting together come the spring!

Bruce

~SPONSOR~
Nov 12, 1999
Hi Colin. Great ideas. Will check AtlanticMX and would love to start riding with you and a group... heard there are a few closet riders in my neighbourhood too. We'll link them.

Wd love to know trails in R-view. Currently take son to Shediac and hit the fire roads... wd like some variety.

Ladies... any suggestions regarding how you learned and what you learned on?

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Depends on how tall she is as far as the XR80 or XR100. Whatever she feels comfortable on without being cramped.

As far as the Carpal Tunnel, I experience bouts of it when I ride too often or too long. Usually it only bothers me on really technical terrain where I have to clutch a lot and where I get tense. I don't have effects very often unless I overdo it riding but hers may be more advanced so less riding may aggravate it more easily.

Since I replaced my stock clutch lever with a Raptor and learned to ride better and more relaxed it hasn't bothered me as often. I also was not riding as frequently this past season as I have before so that may have helped with CP too.

Anything too tight on my wrists seems to aggravate it too so I don't know if wrapping is a good idea or not. Main thing is to let her learn to relax her grip and stop for a break if it starts to bother her.

Other than that sounds like a good way to get her started.

Bruce

~SPONSOR~
Nov 12, 1999
Thanks bbbom.
as to her height, about 5'4" I'd say.

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
You may want to use an actual brace instead of just a simple wrap. Keeping the wrist in the neutral position is the best way to prevent the numbness and pain. This may make riding more difficult for her. If she can't work with the brace on then do not wrap the area. The wrap will do nothing more than restrict the circulation, which could increase the pain. I hate recommending any type of medication, but for comfort's sake maybe she should try taking ibuprofen or asprin 30 minutes before the ride to help reduce the swelling. Carpal Tunnel is treated as a stress related injury (chronic). The true relief will come from resting the wrist in the neutral position. I hope this helps a little.

buckwi1d

Dec 2, 2002
Well I'm about your wife's size at 5'5" and I also just started riding, so I think I have a pretty good perspective for you. ;) I would definitely get her an XR100 or a TTR-125L. They are both great beginner bikes that are fun and easy to learn on. Plus it seems like you should be able to find some used ones out there at a decent price.

Good luck. Just remember to show her everything and then have patience and give her the time to learn. Your support will mean a lot in how she progresses.

Best!

Sarah ;)

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Check out Cindy's page for tips: http://cindygross.tripod.com/dirtbike.htm
An XR will probably be cheaper, as they've now been superseded by the CRF150 and they've been around longer, so you'd probably have more choice on age/condition/price.

As for your wife's thinking:
a) she is missing out
b) I've had to think about anecdotes (ma & pa have turned 70 so we're having a party) and couldn't think of anything about mum, but can think of heaps of things about dad

Her concerns:
a) if she can't handle two wheels, why not a quad. I met a grandmother who had just started riding one & she was having a ball & so proud of the fact she was a grandma & she could tell the kids "hey, I ride" - Jude's probably mid-late 50's
b) can't comment

Your approach
a) still can't comment
b) don't leave her on the PW80 too long, it's too small & can put her off - harder to learn on
c) good idea, once she's learnt the basics - ensure there is NOTHING she can get target fixation on, whatever is there she'll aim for it no matter how out of the way it is, how clear the approach is, whatever (and how many times you tell her to ignore it lol)
Hope that helps (I did think of a couple of things about mum, but they all involved housework or work)

Lissa

"Am I lost again?"
Apr 28, 2002
I have really bad carpal tunnel, along with cyst and athritis in both of my wrist. Would you believe that it was caused from years of steady handed art work!? Doctor told me that surgery IS the only permanet fix, but I still ride long and hard regardlessly.
What I found that works is taking a couple of Motrins before riding to thin the blood out a little. There isn't much that can be done for the tingling thumb and index finger thing, though. Also I have worn wrist braces for years and more recently have just tried riding without them again. I originally took them off three rides ago because I was getting horrible arm pump breaking in my new bikes suspension. Surprisingly my wrist feel so much stronger then it did years ago when I first used the braces. They are worth the small investment. The Motrin is probably the best trick, though.
Depending on how bad her carpal tunnel is though, she might never have a probelm riding, or it may onlybother her if she rides for long amounts of time. Tell her good luck, and get her a 100-125 4str entry level trail bike to start on.

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Always glad to help another woman join in the fun! Sounds like she's got great reasons to give it a try!

I know my kids (and Karl) love the fact that I ride with them and all of their friends know that their mom rides a dirtbike.

I would think that the XR100 would fit her better than the 80. The bigger wheels help absorb some of the trail obstacles too.

As far as learning, take it at her pace and if you can find some other beginners to ride with hook up with them because it helps when you don't feel like the only beginner holding everyone up.

I started out riding with my brother and his friends some of which had wives and kids that rode. I did the fireroads for a couple outings then I started going on the "girls/kids rides" with the other gals & kids. I also rode a lot with my bro and his buddies on the mountain where we live and they helped me learn how to handle more technical trails.

The best help I have had though was from Karl. I've learned a lot from watching him ride and from him coaching me through evermore challenging sections (and I would never have thrown a leg over a CR500 if it weren't for him either). One word of caution on the coaching, make sure you point out some positive things along with the negative things or she may get frustrated (or just plain po'd) and loose the desire to try to improve.

Another thing that Karl does that is helpful is to assure me that he won't take me through anything that is over my head (that is questionable quite often though). If it is too intimidating, he helps me through it at least the first time. So far he hasn't been proven wrong on this but I can recall a few instances where I was sure he was wrong :eek: until after I'd made it through and then I was damn glad I'd made it until I realized I had to make it back too!

Pegasus

~SPONSOR~
Jan 31, 2001
Hi Bruce.... 47 is different than 37...being middle age myself :-) I notice when I dont work out. Im much more suseptable to injury and much better equiped physically and emotionally to deal with challenges...( those po'd tears dont rise as fast :-)

Last month I felt really stiff when we started out for "wet roots 101" I didnt stretch and had been slacking big time on my workouts.. In short after a few attempts I made this one sizable root step and not to pretty I may say ...I lofted the front wheel, bounced the root hard with my rear .. grabed the throttle (oops)then hit the break just missing a tree..very amusing ...anyhow I jamed myself forward jamed my shoulders and pinched my shoulder blades together..Duh!! !! When I workout I usually dont get hurt on stuff like that or as sore .. Im still sore.
I also got off my duff and started working out again...

I guess to add to what everyone else said... in my mind fitness really helps being successful especially at our age..just a suggestion.

Good for her starting something new.. thats what keeps life fun !

Pegasus

~SPONSOR~
Jan 31, 2001
If "edit" would work... arrrgh !! I would say instead.. Im much more suseptable to injury when I dont work out.. and better yada yada yada when I do....you get the picture..
Wishful thinking I suppose

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
You are CORRECT!!! Let's just say that I was cursing my current physical conditioning this past week when I opted to let (Belinda's) Mick ride my bike up a particularly rutted and rocky hill at Clear Creak. I was mad at myself for not being able to ride it up and even madder that it seemed more difficult to hike up it afterall. I'm not sure what was worse!!

Time to get VERY SERIOUS about the workouts!!!

Bruce, glad for you that your wife wants to ride! Be very supportive and patient and she will continue to love this stuff as much as we do here.

The Ant

Jan 3, 2002
Bruce,
I was 44 when I got my first dirtbike, I'm 5'2 1/2", got a used XR200, it was perfect for me. I have been riding streetbikes since the 70's tho, so had 2 wheel experience.
The biggest advice I can give is get her all the safety gear you can right off the bat - chest protector, elbow/knee pads,... besides boots and helmet that're comfy. I'd have gotten hurt and given up long ago without mine, I've used it ALL.
And now at age 50 I've switched to prescription Naprosyn instead of aspirin or Motrin, seems to be a better anti-inflammatory, might help keep her arms from getting sore.
Tell her all her reasons are great, Dirt biking is really really fun, I spent my entire first day on the beginners figure 8 loop - much of it off in the ferns, actually, did need help picking the bike up and restarting it though, so don't just leave her there on her own; and it's not possible to give too much encouragement to her....all the "you did great on that turn, honey"'s you can deliver will pay off in the long run. It can be very frustrating and almost scary at first, be patient.
More women riders, yippee!
-Susan
BBR200

Bruce

~SPONSOR~
Nov 12, 1999
Thank you so much ladies. This is all very, very helpful, and when I showed Anita the replies, it certainly brought plenty of smiles!! Now she's more motivated than ever (to at least give it a shot on son's bike).

Any other sage advice or happy anecdotes to show her would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks again,
Bruce

laurie

Jan 13, 2003
Hi! I am 39 and a mother of three. I rode a little growing up but just got back into riding with my family. It has been great! It whips you into shape and is such a great stress release. Please be encourged. My girlfriend rides a XR200 and is about the same size as your wife. It is a great trail bike. Good luck! Laurie.

PS.you never know about the racing thing . Me and my daughter raced the Elsinore this year what a blast that was!

KeltWolf

~SPONSOR~
Oct 23, 2002
Hey Bruce,

I am a new rider and have ahppily settled in with my KDX. (My son's XR50 was a little too small for much of anything :-) BUt, we went to a friends farm for the first ride. It took a WHILE for me to get both the clutch and my courage working together to actually start rolling along. But, once that happend, it has been great ever since!

On another note: I have had carpal tunnel surgery and I do get a little tired if I am pushing my envelope.

We adjusted my levers so that if I am standing (which I try to do as much as possible) my wrist is neutral. It is even more comforatble than sitting - (any encouragement)

I usually medicate w/ Ibuprofen (400mg) prior to riding and have no problems. When I get tired, I stop for the day....

Good luck - keep us posted!

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Naprosyn is a great anti-inflammatory--it's easier on your stomach than Ibuprofen (But should still be taken with food, or you'll give yourself ulcers) and targets the infamed area better, whereas Ibuprofen is more of an all-over treatment. I buy generic brand Aleve 220 mg.

Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
Originally posted by GETMETOCA
I was mad at myself for not being able to ride it up and even madder that it seemed more difficult to hike up it afterall. I'm not sure what was worse!!

Time to get VERY SERIOUS about the workouts!!!

Natalie I don't know how you feel about stairclimbing but it helped me tremendously. I was so out of shape I would struggle to pick up my bike after a fall, now I feel much stronger in my legs and have a lot more stamina with this type of training. I lost 11 pounds too I'm sure that helped as well. :thumb:

Top Bottom