relivingyouth

Sep 25, 2004
Have a 1982 480 in otherwise very good condition with a cracked left crankcase - a tough to find part. Can anyone tell me if an 81 450 motor will bolt up? Bike Bandit and others show different part numbers for the 450 and 480 crankcases but I recall being shown last year a 450 with an 82 480 cylinder at one of the local AHRMA races. Makes me wonder how different the cases can be and if the part number differences are maybe more due to minor changes/reinforcements rather than wholesale dimension changes. Input and/or guidance to someone who might fit the bill as a 480 authority/guru appreciated.

Thanks

zoommx

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2001
I think a friend of mine that raced a 450 mentioned that the motors were the same (except cylinder). different part numbers could've been because of something as subtle as paint color change. Study the parts like transmissions and crank bearings, If those are the same, good chance the cases are interchangeable.

supernova

Apr 1, 2005
Sorry y am late.But yes the 450 engine will fit in no probleme.450 1981 and 480 1982 ave the same engine, only the head are different more cc.But the head can be swap from 450 and 480.But the best is to find a 460 mugen kit to but on one of this engine, this will wake up that bike WOW :ohmy:

Dec 30, 2008
my left crank case cracked a while ago...right where the clutch spring is on the outside of the case so i couldnt use the clutch...if thats where yours cracked then i'd look on ebay...i found ONE and paid 200 dollars for it. i felt like the luckiest person in the world lol. if its in a different spot though you might want to try some J.B. weld. i used some of that on a CR125 i used to have...i drained the oil and smeared that on the crack and it worked awesome...never leaked once.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom