How did sand get into the sump?

scudsy

Apr 10, 2006
Hi,

I was out riding my friend's CRF450 (2003) :ride: through the desert and after bogging down a little in a dune (not by much, just enough to get down to the rear axel) and so I tear off again and no more than 1 minute later it's miss firing.

We take the bike to the shop and they say there is sand in the sump and it got up to the cams and messed with the timing. How did that happen? Is it possible for the sand to get to the sump so easily on a four stroker?

I'm on a bit of a guilt trip as I feel like maybe I was at fault, but my mate reckons it must have been poor servicing in the past.

Appreciate any feedback

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
In through the intake tract, into the combustion chamber, out via the exhaust ports( to the pipe) and ring end gaps(to the oil sump).
Air filtration would be the root.

OR...the guy layed his oil funnel in the sand before filling.

scudsy

Apr 10, 2006
OK, I'm not too hot on the mechanics, but I can see some small amount getting past the rings. But how does a four stroke engine let it go round via the exhaust? (aren't exhaust ports exclusive to the 2 stroke?),Seriously, I'm not that smart so any further expanation is good for me, Thanks for the post

sx2504life

Sep 30, 2009
i would say he didnt lube his air filter proply or he laided his funnel in the sand as jaybird said earlier....that or the sump bolt has sum clerance and sucked it up but i doubt it.

Top Bottom