How to bend a brake handle back to normal?

Rizoss16

Feb 11, 2006
Hello, I am finally buying some good metal brush guards tomorrow after I get paid, I decided to do so after my 3rd bent brake handle. The first two i tried to bend back when i got home from riding (seperate days) with vice grips, and they both snapped. The brake handles (front right side...obviously) all bent the same exact way, when I fell, in a U shape, opening forward.
I wanted to know if anyone knows of a way to bend back the brake handle, so that I dont have to spend $50 again on a new handle. Maybe if I heat it up with a bunsen burner and then bend it or something like that? Or can I not do that because I think its aluminum...
I have no idea how to bend it back without snapping it again, like the last two, and the brake handles for my bike cost close to $50. Rediculous, I know, but Im told by my dealer theres no aftermarket brake handles for it yet, or any other compatible handles. The bike is an 06 TTR-230. Thanks alot, I appreciate all of the help.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I would try some heat.. I would also loosen up your perches, that way when you fall, hopefully the perch will rotate, helping the lever not too bend.. Also try moving the whole perch inward, so it doesnt stick out past the end of the handlebars..
Good luck,
Rick

crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005
I drill a small hole in the lever about two inches from the end so in the event it breaks it will break with enough to still use....(hello run on)

Crazy

CRguyStan

Dec 10, 2001
I would look around to see what else might fit, I keep a few brake and clutch levers in my gear bag as these are only $10 each for CR's for aftermarket. Maybe the Yammy is $50 but aftermarket for yours is also only $10.
Stan

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
$50 for a lever, I only pay about $5 for brake levers, and they have the bolt/nut adjusters with a pivot built in. Look around for cheaper levers. At $50, you might as well pay a little more for the ASV.

Mar 5, 2006
Its more money than most people like to spend but they came out with levers that can bent in a U shape and bend right back
i THINK the price is about 60$ someone said

dnchevyman

Dec 27, 2005
buy aluminum hand gaurds that mount on the end of your bars and inside of your lever mounts. they keep your levers from being bent when you drop your bike.

AssistSuper

Apr 4, 2005
Broken levers suck.

Try a little heat and see if you can coax it back into shape to where it looks somewhat normal.

I must say though, $50 is absurd. I bent my brake lever yesterday exactly the way you explained, but thankfully I can pick my levers up for $10.

I feel for ya!

tzr8cr

Jan 28, 2006
take it off and slowly very slowly tighten it up in a vise with a lttle heat. should work as long as one end is not tuching the other from the start. don't put alot of heat on it either just as bad as too much force. a little trick is to leave the clutch and brake perches a little lose but lose enough that while riding they just hang there that way when you crash they just pivot up or down on the bar.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
dnchevyman said:
buy aluminum hand gaurds that mount on the end of your bars and inside of your lever mounts. they keep your levers from being bent when you drop your bike.
uh . . .
Rizoss16 said:
Hello, I am finally buying some good metal brush guards tomorrow after I get paid, I decided to do so after my 3rd bent brake handle.

Rizoss, I've managed to straigten out some minor bends by taking the lever off the bike and working it around in the holes in the rear bumper of my pickup. The key is PATIENCE, and don't push too hard one way or the other.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
To straighten them out I usually use a box wrench with a large enough opening to go over the ball end and slowly lever them straight..

Unless Yamaha came out with all new perches your dealer is wrong or soaking you awefully bad with $50 levers. If they are in fact that much I would buy a set of 2005 YZ lever/perch and use them at $8 a pop.
To prevent bending in the future try not falling or in the event you do Use the teflon tape under the perch and only tighten the perch enough that you can still turn it on the bar. This will stop at least 75% of the bent / broken levers in the future. Another option is the ARC or ASV levers they really do hold up and in the unlikely event you break one they will replace them

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
oldguy said:
To straighten them out I usually use a box wrench with a large enough opening to go over the ball end and slowly lever them straight..

Similar to Oldguy but I use 2 wrenches. One on either side of the bend. It seems to work about 50% of the time.

dezryder

Feb 23, 2006
straighten them cold...

I have straightened many (Magura)levers cold on an anvil, tapping with a ball peen hammer. (Work slowly, because too quickly makes the atoms & molecules go crazy.)

My anvil is actually a 12" chunk of railroad track, the top being slightly rounded, and perfect for levers.

When you get it back to shape, take a file to it and remove the big marks you made, then some emery cloth, and finally a buffing wheel will put a nice luster back on it.

As several have mentioned, leave the perches a tad loose. I usually set mine so that they have to be hit pretty good with the palm of my hand to move, and put a drop of blue locktite on the screw just for peace of mind. :)

Solid State

Mar 9, 2001
Rizoss16,

I use the two box wrench method. Make sure you remove the handle from the mount or you will have a fun time trying to remove the play out of a widened mount.

The problem with re-bending levers is that there will be much trial and error getting them just right if you are particular about the feel of the bend in your hand (less of a concern with the brake than the clutch for me). I've Michaelangelo'd myself into hours of effort getting them just right - mistake. Now I just buy a few OEM handles at around $10 ea. from the discount websites. Maybe stock MX handle will fit your TTR? If not, have at it and take your time and you'll be fine.

Good luck.

Rizoss16

Feb 11, 2006
Awsome! I bent it back, using a bunsen burner, its a little crooked now but its much better than it was. Thanks alot everyone.
Tomorrow Im going to pick up a pair of heavy duty brush guards.

jp2396

Dec 12, 2004
I threw mine in the oven on 350 for about 15 min. (off of the perch of cours) and gave it some taps with the hammer. Patience is key.

Top Bottom