rm_racer

Mar 15, 2005
Hey,
My pegs are kind of narrow and was thinking of bringing them to my welding class at school and adding about 3/4 of a inch width with some 1/16th or 1/8th flatstock, and sharpining them up.

Im pretty sure there a inch wide, and was wondering if you's think this is a good idea, and how much I should add to have a comfortable grip. The narrowness doent really bother me, but that extra footing would make me feel more comfortable.

Also, would it be better to add to the back of the peg or the front, because Im thinking that if i add it to the front it could interfer with the shifting.

Thanks!

B

biglou

Cut notches in the 1/8th stock, heat it and wrap it around your existing pegs only with about 1/4" gap all the way around the "horseshoe" shape. Then, use 4-5 spacers, and weld them up as wrap around peg extenders. There is an aftermarket company that sells these, but I forget their name. Would be good to find to see pics of what I mean.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
1.5 - 2 inches would be about right. I made a set for a PW80 (stock ws rubber) a while back by removing the rubber and welding 1/8 steel to the metal part. They work great IMO. I recommend cutting your notches before bending the arc. When bending the arc, use a piece of 1 1/2 round stock (must be stronger than the flat steel) and a vise open the vise to about an inch and hammer it through, open the vise gradually until you get a 180 bend. Unless you have access to a bender, then it's easy.

rm_racer

Mar 15, 2005
We have a cuple benders a school, so Im good on that. Thanks for the suggestions guys. biglou, what do you mean by spacers?

Thanks!

Gibby

Dec 8, 2004
He means spacers as when you wrap the "new" peg around the old one being that it will be a 1/4 inch away you will need to fill the gap in between them. Put like one on each end and in the middle or something. Another words your "new" part can't float around the old. Understand??

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
You may have to modify the addition on the left side peg to allow the kickstarter to move fully. Try to mimic the way the kick starter interfaces with the stock peg. You want to avoid letting the starter hit any sharp corners.

B

biglou

Spoken like a true RM owner! ;) He's right, though. Fit it up on the bike, then trim off the 1/2" or so of the right side front inside end so the kicker hits the stock peg. Then again, I put the Fastway giganto-normous pegs on three YZ's/YZF's with no kicker problems. Ain't Product Engineering fun?! :nod:

rm_racer

Mar 15, 2005
Thanks alot. I know what you mean by spacers now. Thanks for the tip for the kick starter too, I never though of that.

Top Bottom