karlp

Nov 13, 2001
Hey all-
We have a Husky 50 SR that my 6 year old rides. Cool bike.
Recently the ignition coil went bad. I've got a new one coming.
There is a problem, though- the flywheel had been hitting the coil. I looked carefully and found a little wiggle in the flywheel and thought " Oh no, lower end going south" On carefull examination, the problem is in the flywheel. The crank is tight.
The flywheel is aluminum with a steel center hub. The hub is pressed into the flywheel, I guess, and has come loose. Its got just a little wiggle between the two parts.
Any thoughts on fixing this? Heat it up and try to stake it with a punch? Take it all the way apart and glue it with JB Weld? Set screws? Rivets?
Just wondering what others have done.

Thanks,
Karl

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
what year? I might have one lying around...you might try the staking method . I've used that to fix some water pumps. all else fails just buy a new rotor.

Are you sure the coil is bad. they almost never fail. its usually the stator. Especially with the rotor contacing the stator they seem to go bad pretty quick.

karlp

Nov 13, 2001
It is a 2002.
I put six screws in it. 8-32, 4 going into the cavity around the nut and two lower setting aginst the crank. It seems to be fine for now.
I'm a little confused; Coil/stator? mine is one piece. The flywheel has been hitting the pickup plates that surround the coil. I say it is the coil because the plug wire comes from it.

Karl

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom