KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
I am still considering that OR250 I mentioned in a different post. I have now had more of a chance to look the bike over and found out a couple of issues, I am hoping some Husky experts might be able to help me out on before I commit to doing the trade deal.

1) I have the impression ignition issues are common with Huskys of this vintage. I think this bike may have one. It runs fun, starts pretty well etc. Once you pick up the RPMS WHAM its like the ignition shuts down, your roll off gas, wait a split second and it seems fine. Now I am not talking about revving it way out to a rev limiter - just well into the power band far far from redline. Is this consistent with the general issues with these ignitions? Is only option to replace?

2) Tranny - wierd sounding animal! Hard to describe. Right side of motor when running at a low idle, in gear or not in gear, clutch in or out, nasty rattle grind sound in area of countershaft sprocket. Goes away entirely with even a minor increase of RPM. Is this a basic, dont worry about it, they all do that issue, or is it a major tranny issue. My gut says it could be major sign of say bad shift forks, gear set etc. with slop in it, then a bit of a load from some RPM or simply different frequency of vibration and it goes away. As clutch in or out makes no difference, does not seem to be clutch basket rattle.

Any advice appreciated! (including - Don't go there...dont buy it!)

Oregon Trail

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 1999
First of all Husky are very easy to work on and alot of parts from different years cross over, I had a motor that the races on the shift forks broke and I raced it for a year like that. I've never heard about a 'common' Husky ignition problem and I raced them for the last 5 years. I ran the Femsa points and Motoplat set up.

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
The ignitions do fail however, you can replace fairly easy. You can buy the PVL ignition($300+) or go on evilbay and grab a used one for $50-100. Don't get me ng on the ignition, look at any 20+ yr. old db - everything will fail at some point but Husky is a great vintage scoot. I own a few and have ridden them since the 80's(430 Automatic was my first).

I will be riding at he ISDT reunion ride this year aboard either my '77 360 automatic or a '80-'82 420/430. After 2 days of riding vintage, and being beat to a pulp,should quence my thirst for a long time!

glenncal1

May 24, 2001
Mike-the ORs are very good all around bikes, you are right about it being a combo of the CR and WR tranny, with the CR suspension and travel and a larger tank. I wonder if that is an ignition problem or possibly fuel. If it is the ignition it may be something like a worn wire or bad ground that some how gets moved when accelerating, usually if it is something with the ignition it wont work at all. Husky's are famous for leaking seals at shaft ends so maybe that sound you hear is a failing seal. Good Luck they are fun bikes, the big bores will definitely give you a power rush, Jim

Top Bottom