Dennis Meyers

~SPONSOR~
Nov 24, 2000
Well I did it, I just sold the RMX and am ready for something different. I was wondering what your opinions are on the '99 Husky WR250? I'm looking at one but don't know much about them. I would really like a KTM, the only thing holding me back is the stories I've heard about the rear shock and the maintence it requires. Is it really such a pain?

Norman Foley

Nov 14, 2001
I have a '00 WR 250 and it's a great woods bike. I would go with '00 or newer, many improvements over '99 and earlier bikes(suspension and ergonomics)make them easier to ride. Fred's had a leftover '02 WR 250, though Fred isn't the most enthusiastic Husky dealer. I still think that I'd take the '99 over a KTM. I guess PDS heim joint bearings are problematic.
Norman

KDXfile

~SPONSOR~
Dec 6, 1999
I rode a 00' Husky WR250 for about a year and it was almost impossible to sell or trade. Also, the suspension never seemed to work right; even after WER re-valved it. The '01 Huskies had improved steering but I would buy any '99 or later KTM over the Husky (IMHO).
I've never had to do any maintenance or bearing replacement on the rear shock on any KTM I've had. If the bearing wears out, you simply replace it.
The Husky linkage has grease fittings which are nice if you ride in a lot of mud and water.

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
I think both bikes have their problems - however I prefer Husky due to their handling abilities. They turn a little better for me and I like the rear suspension linkage better - here again it comes back to handling.

I had the WR360 which was basicly shot(ridden by a A rider for one season). I will say regarding all dirt bikes - typically I ride them to the point of worthlessness(sp??) and the resale is non-existant on all counts.

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
I ride an older (1994) Husky 360. The reason I keep it (other than the fact that it has a tag) is the 6 speed and the easy way it handles. I have ridden many KTM's and I am fairly sure my next bike will be a KTM. Still, the PDS bikes I have ridden don't work as well for me as most conventional bikes, Husky included. It looks like KTM made some improvements on the PDS system to get the feel more conventional. Maybe they can be retrofit/copied on the older models.

Chris

dthoms

Oct 6, 2002
Dennis,
I went from a 95 RMX to a 02 KTM 250 EXC, and I love it. I haven't had a chance to hide a Husky recently, but have ridden about everything but. I don't know what kind of maintenance problems you heard about the KTM, but I haven't had any with mine yet, and I probably have 2,000+ miles on it.
After riding the RMX for 6 years I was afraid I wouldn't find anything as dependable, and woods worthy.
I have heard a lot of complaints about the suspension, but I think most of them are unfounded. My KTM has better suspension than my RMX in just about every way, and is much better in the deep whoops than my old bike. I have adjusted the suspension to my own taste, I am not afraid to adjust the clickers and the springs. I think this is important on any of the newer bikes, you need to be able to set it up for your weight and style, and area, otherwise you won't be happy, regardless of the bike you buy.
If I had any complaints it would be that the front forks are to flexible, the RMX had strurdier forks than the KTM. The 03's have a larger diameter fork though. Stiffing up the springs on the forks seem to help the problem, but it's not a total cure.
I think the short coming of the no linkage is the real big hits, and the stadium type whoops, if I get mine to straight line thru the big stuff it is too stiff in the woods. Then you get more deflection and feed back from the forks, and the rear wheel wants to hop too much. I have been told this can be fixed with different valving but I don't see it as that big of a problem. I've road newer MX bikes and they were better in the high speed big hits, but they didn't handle the rocks, roots and trail junk as well either.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Dthoms, try bringing up the rebound for better straight-line through the whoops. It's helped my '02 a lot keeping it straight.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
The Husky suspension it the same on the CR and WR models, just different oil levels and stock clicker settings. Mine works great on the track but is harsh in the woods. The engine is the best built engine I have ever worked on and I haven't had to work on it much. It has larger ergonomics than most Jap bikes but so does KTM. My previous bike was a 250 KTM, back when it still had linkage. After market parts are almost non-exsitant for the Husky, and those they do have can only be bought through a dealer. IF you have a Husky dealer close by, they are great bikes.

My KTM was the best woods bike I have ever ridden and also well built. Like I said though, it was back before Heim bearing problems. My next bike will probably be anouther KTM as there is no Husky dealer around here and the sending off for even the most common thing is becoming frustrating. But if you go with Husky and don't have a dealer near you, the shop in Miami seems the be the best at getting stuff right out. If I call and order parts on Monday and he has them in stock, I get them by thursday at the latest.

Last edited:

Dennis Meyers

~SPONSOR~
Nov 24, 2000
Thanks guys, It looks like I'll either go with a '00 or newer MXC or possibly build an RM250 for the woods, depends on what kind of deals I can find. Right now though I've got to get things straightened out with the house, the real estate agent is coming back in the morning with a sign for the lawn. 3 kids in a 3 bedroom house just ain't working anymore!

motomickey

May 9, 2002
Heim berring issues? I am on my 4th KTM since they went to PDS and have never, ever had any problems with them-I know a couple of guys that have changed theirs and it is much easier to change that one berring than do a simple clean and grease on a conventional system. As far as how well it works-get it set up for your size/weight/riding size by a shop that knows KTMs and you will love it. But before you do that, spend the time to set it up for you, spring rate is critical. Then play with the clickers-keep in mind that on a KTM you can really feel 2 clicks difference.

Dennis Meyers

~SPONSOR~
Nov 24, 2000
I guess bearing life depends alot on the type of stuff you ride. I happen to like snotty, muddy slop, but I understand that the bearings don't. :ugg: As far as the action of the suspension, I'm told that it's much improved since the first PDS units and I have a really good suspension guy, so that's not too much of a problem. What I would like to know is how different do they feel from a Jap bike? Keep in mind I'm a long time Suzuki rider, and those things just love to turn, but lack stability at speed. :eek:

Top Bottom