Dec 21, 2007
Hello Folks

I am a grumpy old Swiss dwarf from behind the 7 mountains and I'm married now for 10 Years with an Irish Women.

But do you think, I was able to get to Ireland by Motorbike once? No chance. So I made a wish for our 10th Anniversary - Have a guess!

So I will arrive on 12. August 08 in Rosslare on your beautyful Island an I am planning to do a trip along the Westcoast for 7 Days. Then its back to Snowhite.

As I've never been by bike in Ireland, I would like to ask you guys for any suggestions.
Is it possible (Legal) to get from A to B on gravel roads, B roads, anything with not much Traffic and just as wide that a car just fits on it.
I'am thankful for any Waypoints/Tracks (Garmin), Scanned in pieces of maps, Names of Villages and little Towns and any other thing you can think of.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Sounds like a great adventure. Enjoy and take lots of pics!

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Awesome! Have a great time and PLEASE post a ride report with pics!!
Wish I could help with the local laws, but can't. Ireland is on my short list of countries to visit, I'm envious!

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
THAT,... would be an awesome ride report,........... Good luck to you my friend. :cool:

Last edited:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Your trip sounds so cool. I would like, in the future, to take a dual sport trip through Chili, Peru, and Argentina. Propably have to win the lottery first. Hope you find the information you are looking for. Have fun anyway you get it.

mike109

Nov 20, 2007
That sound fun :ride: :cool:
when i graduate im going to try to go to canada and ride to the west cost then ride back through the U.S to the east coast again.
Back home to SC :ride: :)

trailqueen

Dec 30, 2006
I've been to Ireland many times but never rode a bike there as I don't have a MC license since I only ride offroad. Which side of the road do you drive on in Switzerland? Here in the States we drive on the right and in Ireland they drive on the left so it took some getting used to when I rented a car. I would imagine it would take even more getting used to on a bike! Have fun - it's a great place to visit! :cool: :ride:

Dec 21, 2007
I've been there lot's of times by car.

We also drive on the right side of the road, in Switzerland. I adapt very fast.
I imagine, it will be even easier on the bike as, lets face it, I almost constantly ride on the left side anyway ( :laugh: overtaking)

GLeNs

Jun 12, 2007
YOU HAVE TO DRIVE UP THE ANTRIM COAST!!! Its voted best scenery route all the time, its in northern ireland though. Its a coastal route beside the cliffs and the scenery is amazing :cool:

Drive through the mourne mountains, they are quite stunning :P Im spent over 8 days in that mountain, up to 4 days hiking there alone.

Galway, party capital its very friendly, expect to get drunk there haha

St james gate, good ol' guinness

Killarney then to dingle bay, see the dolphins hehe and a bit of surfing or boogie boarding.

Good luck post pics!!! Drop of at desertmartin, magherafelt its our gp track!!

maxrevs666

totally rocktacular
~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2007
Your best bet would be to stock up on some OS (ordnance survey) maps. they can be purchased online and give a really high level of detail for Ireland. Seeing as you are coming int Rosslare, you could do a lot worse than take in a section of road called "the vee" this is its actual name. from there, head on to lismore to check out the beautiful castle, make your way along the back roads to fermoy, into mallow, from there head back to beautiful killarney, a real tourist spot. there are some awesome trips to be taken in kerry, you can "do the ring" which is essentially a ring (duh) taking in elements of wooded areas, mountains and coastline. from there you can head north along the west coast and take in the Cliffs of Moher, then its onto galway which as GlenS said is a real part city. if you want I can scan a few maps for you if its any help.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
BSWIFT said:
Your trip sounds so cool. I would like, in the future, to take a dual sport trip through Chili, Peru, and Argentina. Propably have to win the lottery first. Hope you find the information you are looking for. Have fun anyway you get it.

Do it man! South America is very nice, and a lot more relaxed than North America. I believe there's some companies down there that will set you up with a bike and guide.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I buy my lotto tickets on Friday!

Top Bottom