SR71

Dec 24, 2005
Back in the day lets say the early to mid 80's Husky ruled the offroad market. Then something horrible happened. They were bought by Cagiva. Finally they seem to be makin a comeback at least I see more tests and ads in the magazines. Anyone else have an input on this? These were great bikes back then and I hope they make it.

Dave.Smith

Dec 15, 2002
It would sure seem a black cloud follows them around. Changes in ownership, a failed ownership bid and a factory flood in the last few years would put most down for the count. Husky keeps putting out very good bikes in spite of it all. Their 50 state legal bikes are a great idea and have gotten a lot of good press for them. What hasn't gotten much attention is the return of two strokes to the US market. I hope they do well.

Hevster1

May 2, 2000
Dave is correct but the only thing which worries me is their continued problems with money. In Europe they are neck and neck with KTM and the Japanese. Here they are down well below KTM and the rest. My partner and I tried to obtain a dealership several years ago and were given the run around. Gas Gas on the other hand gave us what we asked for as far as qualification etc. (we ended up not doing it as logistics didn't allow us anything except Honda and we dont have 1 million in credit) Currently closest Husky dealer is well over 60 miles away. I know people are interested but untill they figure out a better policy regarding new dealers I wonder how they will do. I will say I do like their new offerings alot and am considering one for myself.

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
I have had 2 local Husky dealers go out of business. People like to purchase the big 4 such as Honda and similar. Even the local KTM dealer is iffy as far as sales numbers go.

I own a Husky and parts have not been an issue at all. I really like ordering parts via internet or phone, as there is not the delay in ordering my local dealers seem to exhibit. I even get them to send FedEx using my account!

I have ridden last years models and they are quite good. Better in some ways than the competition. However, not better in all ways.

Chris

stevet

Jan 11, 2005
in the May 2005 issue of dirtrider magazine, they do a 8-bike comparison on the offroad 450's......and the 05 Husqvarna TE450 got very good reviews...."this is a race bike you can still take trail riding...."...it has the ability to hook-up while other bikes spin"....

that said...they also liked the KTM, Husaberg and the Honda CRF450X.....if you can a back issue, its an interested test....they also include Gas Gas, Sherco, Yamaha and TM.

highmileage

Jun 17, 2004
I honestly believe that if this latest sale doesn't put them in a downward trend financially, they may just take a more significant jump in the market space.

The recent Husky's are quality products and they have seemed to make a very active role in addressing buyer complaints and continuing development each year. They seem to be paying attention to the market place. Husky was not only solid enough to admit that they had a problem with the 04' 250F valves, they took care of the owners and aggressively went after the problem in development of the 05's and 06's. After 3 years of getting hammered all over the net Honda/Suzuki/Kawasaki still hasn't stepped up in either taking care of the owners or developing their product to be better engineered or more reliable.

Their bikes have quality components and they seem to be appearing everywhere on the left coast. Probably because we have a fair amount of good dealers in Washington, Oregon, and California. The fact that they are 50 state bikes when everyone, including KTM, was backpeddling from the new EPA regs really makes a statement about their committment to regaining a respectable position in the marketplace.

GO HUSKY!!!

msh441

Jan 19, 2006
Making the 2006 TE's street legal is one heck of a bombshell in the enduro/dual sport niche.

Husky is very sucessful in the european enduro series. They are slowly entering the euro motocross circut it seems... and in supermoto they are pretty much the dominant manufacturer here and abroad.

Can't help but think they're gaining momentuum.

... but then again, most Italian motorsports businesses seem to need a huge injection of cash every decade or so. Look at Ducati's highs and lows. There on a roll now, but not after several failed attempts at resurrection after Cagiva.

Hopefully the MV Agusta/Cagiva/Husqvarna household recognize the importance of the dirt market. We'll see.

As far as ownership. I bought one. Light. Fun power. Great features/accessories. Easy maintinance. Parts are readily availible (it's called the interent people. You're on it now)... and if I get in a bind I have a great dealership a short hop to the south (40mi. +/-).

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
I would love to have a TC250 with estart!

Trashrider

Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 3, 2004
I am picking up a 2006 WR 250 this weekend. I want to know first hand how they are.

FIVE-HUNGE

Sep 28, 2005
I just got a look at most of the 06 husky's (new dealer closeby) and can't help but drool over the TC510 and 450.Talk about a Vet class mx'ers dream ride...And the TE610 looks like the ultimate commuter ride. Their "bad reputation" is the only thing hindering their Top quality craftsmenship.
I wouldn't hesitate to take a chance on buying a weapon suspended by Ohlins rear and 50mm Marzocchi's.

motorhead434

May 28, 2003
and if you compete, the contingency program covers ALOT of districts and series and pays quite well.Husky bucks are cool,look at it as free parts and accessories for your ride.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
Reading about the TE610, I was initially all fired up thinking I would get one to replace my XR. But reading over at Thumpertalk (yes, i'm an internet forum whore), some folks have definitely had problems with them. For now, i'm going to hang loose and read up on them. It would just be too good to be true to find a bike with Honda XR reliability, with more power and lighter weight...

wr_guy

Feb 22, 2006
Trashrider said:
I am picking up a 2006 WR 250 this weekend. I want to know first hand how they are.

I just bought a '04 Wr250. It's a nice bike with a FBF woods cylinder and a Hebo hydro clutch. It's a BIG bike but it handles tight woods quite well. The motor has no hit at all except on the lower mid range...you can lug it all day and it never stalls. A good bike for a non-moto guy who is a little on the tall side.

Good luck

Trashrider

Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 3, 2004
thanks for the input

WR-Guy,
Sounds like our motors are a bit different. It is definitely a TALL bike. My 5' 6" frame is quite challenged by this monster. However, for hare scrambles and trail riding I can adapt. The clutch is really easy to pull, the suspension seems very raceable as is. My motor seems to be a rip-snorter. I am use to riding a 200 though.Overall, I am happy with the bike. Until I race it, I will bide my time!

Mark

dezryder

Feb 23, 2006
Hopefully the MV Agusta/Cagiva/Husqvarna household recognize the importance of the dirt market. We'll see.

As far as ownership. I bought one. Light. Fun power. Great features/accessories. Easy maintinance. Parts are readily availible (it's called the interent people. You're on it now)... and if I get in a bind I have a great dealership a short hop to the south (40mi. +/-).[/QUOTE]

This is a big part of the reason Husky dealers are struggling to make a living. Obviously you can buy cheaper on the internet. That said, support your local dealer, even if it cost a little more! Just my 2 cents.

OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
I just LOVE my '96 Husky 360, but I'll never buy another Husqvarna motorcycle because there is NO aftermarket support. Once the initial few years of factory support go by, you're on your own, and trying to get parts or even info is like shouting down a well. I made the mistake of buying my son a used 2002 Husky Boy 50 last month (brand loyalty I guess) and if it weren't for a somewhat generic motor, I'd be out of luck trying to find ANYTHING for his bike. Husqvarna has a superior product that's left to languish by the very people who produce it. If they ever get to the point where they offer better support I'll be willing to reconsider. :bang:

ironram

Jun 3, 2005
i purchased an 06 Tc450 last month what a bike great power and lots of it and not hard hitting like some of the others but keeps pulling unlike the others smooth power suspension is great the bike its self is sweet in looks also and all parts are readily available just got to look but these bikes are well equiped and are a quality machine anyone who buys one will be happy and see what they were missing out on i did my homework and made the decision and drove 8hrs just to get it next year will be looking to get there 125 :aj:

Trashrider

Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 3, 2004
Huskys are over looked due to availability. There are so few dealers and after market companies do not support them. However, Husky has a nice contigency program and with a little preplanning, parts are available. They will never rise up to their dominance of the 70's and early 80's, but they were a true Swedish bike back then too. I am happy if for no other reason than to have something exotic.

Mark

timmae 360

Sep 25, 2006
OldTimer said:
I just LOVE my '96 Husky 360, but I'll never buy another Husqvarna motorcycle because there is NO aftermarket support. Once the initial few years of factory support go by, you're on your own, and trying to get parts or even info is like shouting down a well. I made the mistake of buying my son a used 2002 Husky Boy 50 last month (brand loyalty I guess) and if it weren't for a somewhat generic motor, I'd be out of luck trying to find ANYTHING for his bike. Husqvarna has a superior product that's left to languish by the very people who produce it. If they ever get to the point where they offer better support I'll be willing to reconsider. :bang:

It's a shame there is no support where you are, no worries getting parts down under, I got the same steed 96 wr360, best bike i've ever ridden :laugh:

Top Bottom