cadunkle

Oct 12, 2007
I am having trouble with my '82 IT 465. Bought it a while back and just now getting it running. Replaced head and base gaskets last week and rode it a little last weekend. It was very hard to start and once warmed up wanted to "run away". The engine would race at high RPM even after closing the throttle. Would have to drag it down with the clutch and once brought back low it would idle fine and work fine at part throttle but go too far open and takes off again. Could it be dieseling? Any why? Combustion chamber and piston are spotless. Piston seems to have been replaced recently (before I got it). Doesn't look factory but is in excellent condition.

Also, should this bike be extremely hard to kick? Like it's got a lot of compression? It's actually my buddy's bike and I store it in my garage for him. He can't start it, well, he's only managed once. He tried to kick it and the kicker doesn't move or turn the engine. He's a small guy. When it was running I could always start it in 2-3 kicks but still hard to kick and compounded by not wanting to fire right away. Kicking my XR200 is like butter, no resistance (exhaust valve tied to kicker though) and my CR250 is much easier to kick too. Hell, my CB750 kicks over much easier than this Yamaha!

So yesterday I took the carb off and cleaned it out really well. Also lowered the float level a small amount as fuel dumped out the side vent tubes when the bike was leaning against anything, and it smokes a little and smelled rich. So put the carb back on and now it won't run at all. Fuel is dripping from the exhaust as I kick it over, and the plug is instantly wet-fouled. Tried lowering fuel level a few more times. Tried checking fuel level by turning on fuel, then off, then removing the bowl. Got the fuel level very low and it still pukes gas out the ehxuast. Not sure why it would do that even with the fuel level so low.

Any thoughts? What should the float height be? It's measured from the fuel bowl gasket surface on the carb body to the bottom of the float body itself, correct? Does that measurement stay accurate after the tabs (both inner acting on needle, and outer holding the floats) have been bent a few times and no longer exactly as originally placed? What should the fuel level be in the bowl (how high, or how full)? Can adyone advise? Was hoping to be able to ride this weekend. Thanks!

uts

Jan 8, 2004
The way it was running sounds like an air leak.Bikes rev like that when they are running lean. Do a leak down test.
Yes they are very hard to kick over. I am 100kg (220 pounds) and I had to jump on mine to get it to fire. But with big enough kicks it would start easy

You should set the float level to the factory setting and leave it there. You shouldn't need to change it. 27 mm as per manual.The fuel overflow problem seems like the needle valve assembly in the carb might be shot. I had to replace that on mine (very old bikes.)

All in all though, the IT465 is a great bike if you get it sorted. As a getting from A to B across mountains bike, they are unstoppable. I still think the motor is worthy of more though. One day I will stuff one of them into a modern motocrosser ( I hope)

Top Bottom