sideways

Jun 6, 2020
thanks and let you guys know that you didn't waste your time. I was up til 2 this morning watching youtube videos for beginner dirt bike riders and tried the lessons in practice today. I got up a little before 7 and once I got rolling I adjusted the valves and changed the oil in the bike and for the first time suited up fully and took off for a little practice. I could really tell a difference in how things felt with proper positioning and how getting on the balls of my feet let me use my ankles and calves more but it did feel off at first. I grew up on the back of a horse and even with my daddy trying to get me to change I always rode either contest stirrups or narrow oxbows with my foot buried to the boot heal and despite all the warnings in over 40 years I never had a problem, anyway that is why it never even occurred to me to ride on the balls of my feet but now I can see why. at first I just kinda rode as loose as I could and eventually started putting my weight on one peg or the other to help push the bike the right way. I stood as much as I could but I found myself getting tired and getting to far back and pulling on the bars and when that would happen I felt the loss of control and would sit down, slow down and rest for a while. I can already tell I am going to have to put in a lot of seat time to build the muscle. I thought my legs were good because I am a hiker and walk most of the day at work but evidently I was fooling myself because I came home much tireder than usual and can feel it in the back of my thighs and calves. I guess long story short I definitely see the value in doing it as it is taught and just from todays ride while following directions as best as I could recall I feel more confident. Thanks to you guys for the help and if anyone has suggestions I am wide open to them and if anyone has interest I will record my progress or lack of progress and back sliding here.
Sideways.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Good stuff! It's a long road to getting good on a bike, but so worth it. Stick to what you learn from those that teach and don't get lazy... suddenly you'll find yourself going faster than you would have believed. There isn't much in this life better than doing what you didn't think you could.

sideways

Jun 6, 2020
Yes sir, 13 weeks on Paris Island taught me that lesson well. My grandsons think I am nuts because I'll drag a kayak half a mile through yellow flies in the hottest part of the year to launch it, the last time I took them with me and when we got the boats in the water I asked them, don't it make you feel good that as hard as it was to get here fighting the flies, heat and the desire to quit you made it? both said yes. today was my day off from work and I should have been cleaning up to mow instead of playing but it worked out, the boys are here tonight and we are going to gang up on it tomorrow and hopefully get back on the bike Sunday. I have to track down a jet kit for my carb, I adjusted the valves this morning because the throttle response has gotten bad at low rpms and these chinese bikes are notorious for coming with the valves adjusted tight to pass emissions, I adjusted them before I even turned the motor over but wanted to double check and they did need to be adjusted but it didn't solve my problem and as luck would have it the dealer called me to verify some parts I had ordered so I mentioned it to him and he told me that they also jet them lean for the same reason. I expect by the time I get this bike how I want it I will have improved my mechanic skills somewhat.
Thanks Okie.

Top Bottom