just wondering..? about a 91' KDX250

codyKDX250

Feb 14, 2004
let me begin by saying that the popularity of this bike isnt good. to try to find parts is another thing. i have found most of what i need but the one thing that you would think with being an older bike that they would make would be plastic but it seems that if i had a new KDX i could find it anywhere but with the 91 Kdx no one seems to make it. sorry for the venting but ive been trying to find shrouds, and side plastic for awhile now and its a losing battle. so my question is dose anyone know of a place where i could find the plastic. i do know that the 91' KX250 is the same but i guess those guy have the same problem as i do any help would be grateful thanks

also here's another problem i am experiencing . well ive got into ridin just a few yrs ago (only been out 4 times with this bike) and the fist time i went out i miss understood my friend when he said that when i go to mix the oil i use one bottle for a 5gal can well instead of a pint i put in a quart and well you all probably know what happened. well after cleaning the carb and changing the plug and cleaning the reed valves a few times my bike still isnt working. the last time i took it out it ran fine tell i dump it then i couldn't get it started even tried towing it but nothing any of you have any other advice on what i could do besides tearing apart the engine and cleaning it again thanks........codyKDX250

capitan joy

Jul 1, 2000
I have a 91 KDX 250 and really like the bike. So ignore the whiners. As far as plastic I have found nothing really. I think the side panels may be available but that would be it besides a front fender. I replaced the rear stock fender with a KX 500 unit which looks a little more modern that the stocker and leaves off the light. It was about an hour or two of triming and cutting holes with a soldering iron to make it work. It still does not line up with the side panes but I can live with the over lap. The next step would be to put on KX500 side panels and that would make it all blend but then I don't care for the vented style of 500 side panels so whatever. I guess for shrouds you will have to pop for OE since the KDX250 has a uniqe tank. Now the motor and forks at least share some KX models. I think the engine is basically an 89 KX250 with the electrics added and the fork matches the KX500 unit. If you have'nt done it yet, get the FMF pipe, toss the air box lid and I added some power reeds. She tears it up pretty good with these mods but I think my carb took a crap and am trying to find which model of KX 250 shares the same Keihin part number. This is the way to go as the stock slide (#5?)makes the damn bike run too rich. The KX 250 comes with, I think, a #6 slide. I've been trying to shake that monkey for a while.
Hope you enjoy your ride!

Dave

capitan joy

Jul 1, 2000
OH ya, your bike should be fine with the sloppy inards. Be sure you drained the carb bowl, the fuel line, the reserve side of the tank also, and if it still won't start try this. Pull the plug, lay the bike on its side and crank the kick lever by hand. Try it standing up as well and see if a bunch of snot flys out. Now with a fresh plug, fresh fuel and maybe a shot of starting fluid in the spark plug port it should light. One time my float valve stuck open and the engine hydraulic locked. That is how I "drained" it.
Good luck!

Dave

codyKDX250

Feb 14, 2004
capitan joy said:
OH ya, your bike should be fine with the sloppy inards. Be sure you drained the carb bowl, the fuel line, the reserve side of the tank also, and if it still won't start try this. Pull the plug, lay the bike on its side and crank the kick lever by hand. Try it standing up as well and see if a bunch of snot flys out. Now with a fresh plug, fresh fuel and maybe a shot of starting fluid in the spark plug port it should light. One time my float valve stuck open and the engine hydraulic locked. That is how I "drained" it.
Good luck!

Dave

Thanks Captain Joy ill try that and hopefully it works i would sure like to get up to Rampart Colo this yr and learn the trails...i guess with the plastic ill just have to deal with the stuff i got. its not in that bad of shape i just wanted to try and make it somewhat new....so if the engine isn't seized it should be ok then? i figured that what i wound up doing was just lubed it real good. i also had the float stuck open on me and the engine just took off on me and the only way to kill it was to pull back on the throttle i wound up takin the carb to a bike shop and the guy couldn't find anything wrong with it but said that if it did it again to tap on it with a screw driver so oh well again thanks for the info.

codykdx250

Bruce91z28

Oct 13, 2003
Kdx 250

Hi,I also have a 91 250 mine runs exceptionally strong ,I have not been able to find plastic either.But I have found some other sights that might help in the future for parts.The first 2 are for carb.parts,www.keihin-us.com,www.sudco.com.this next one has some neat graphics www.xtreme-ghaphix.net and this last one despite the name has some nice gripper seat covers for our year kdx's, www.4strokesonly.com.Another sight that you can get a complete parts list for the bike is www.buykawasaki.com if you go there you can get the factory numbers andbreakdown drawings of most of the bike. Have fun riding

jc

Sep 22, 2001
HEY CODY AND OTHERS. I WAS IN THE SAME SPOT AS YOU ARE BUT IT WAS W/ A (GASP) KTM 300. KTM CHANGED EVERYTHING AFTER 96' (the yr. of my bike) AND PLASTIC WAS VERY HARD TO FIND. I TRIED A CO. BY THE NAME OF BTO SPORTS (WWW.BTOSPORTS.COM) THAT I HAD FOUND IN THE BACK OF A DR. MAG. THEY WERE AWESOME! HAD EVERYTHING I NEEDED. YOU MAY WANT TO CHECK W/THEM. I WOULD CALL THEM 1 888 613 3393. ALSO MY BUDDY RIDES A KDX250 AND MY 93 KX 250 PIPE WOULD FIT (PERFECT IF YOU NEED A REPLACEMENT.) OH YEAH, I WENT BACK TO A KDX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOODLUCK, JC

capitan joy

Jul 1, 2000
Chaparrel cataog shows the FMF Fatty is still avaiable for the kdx 250 as well as the Original turbin core silencer. Thats my setup as well. The exhaust part number crosses over to the kx250 I think 91-92 or 92-93. I'll look again if anyone cares.

Top Bottom