miScott

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Oct 19, 2003
I'm trying to plan a father-son ride for me and my 8 year old son. He has only been riding for 3 months (KLX 110), and has only ridden 4 places.
#1 In the field behind my Dad's house.
(he did pretty good, until I made a lot of ruts with my bike)
#2 On the lawn
(he goes faster than my wife and I would like, including racing his friend with an XR80)
#3 Swanton, Ohio
(he did terrible, flopped his bike over at almost every turn. This was an exercise in patience. Took about 2 hours to do 6 miles)
#4 Mild Jeep roads in Colorado and Utah
(he did great, was a huge moral boost for him. we did about 80 miles)

So what I would like to know is...
Of all the trail systems in Michigan, where should I take him where he will have the best experience?

Also, I would also like to take him to the CCC kids ride in Aug, but he doen't have his saftey training yet.
Does anyone know when the next kids saftey training is?

Thanks a lot,

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Ya wanna call Bill Chapin. He is the head of the Cycle Conservation Club. (517)-569-9999 he is in charge of all the training.

http://www.cycleconservationclub.org/v_nav/ccc_vmain.html

As for what trails are good for kids??? I really couldn't tell ya. I like the single track myself as does my 8 yr old just cause the 2-tracks seem to get sandy and wooped out. Not to mention that the 2-tracks have guys running at very high speed. Try to keep your kid behind someone and not leading. I know it is nice to have him out front so you can see him but it is dangerious because of other ridders coming up the other way may not see him/her. I am guilty of this as well.

WildBill

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 29, 2002
Scott,

I have been told that the "Old State House" Trail near Oscoda is a good loop for kids / beginners. It supposedly has a little bit of everything as well as an ORV Route to quickly cut back to the trail head if needed. Search on Old State House and you'll see my thread from a month or two ago.

Happy Trails

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
There should be safety training at the kids ride (was last year).

Also there is an outstanding area for kids on the northeast corner of the Atlanta A loop. It has very very little traffic, and is a checker board of wide grassy two tracks, very little sand. This stuff is legally designated as "OPEN" for riding as it is offical ORV route. Again...virtually no traffic on this checkerboard area! You will find grass tall enough it might be over the head of the kid! (tells you how little use it gets!) I highly recommend this area for a new rider. This little area could keep a kid occupied for quite some time and would serve as a great confidence booster. Then from here you can explore a bit if it goes OK. onto the ORV trail (dont go south east to far...to technical for a kid). Also the general area has many miles of ORV Route, but that is best saved for non weekend as it gets a fair bit of quad traffic.

I also do as YZ man suggests - sandwich the kid between two adults, and if only one available, have the adult in front. This way you serve as a buffer between him and fast guys coming at you, as well as you can preview any terrain challenges, and stop in advance to help him through. This does require you to grow eyes in the back of your head, and cut corresponding holes in your helmet... (you will quickly learn how to ride facing backwards essentially!)

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
For riding in front of your kid, invest in a bug eye helmet mirror. You'll be able to see them without killing your neck or yourself. <http://www.bugeyes.com>
Best $10 you'll spend on gear.

Nestrick

Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 6, 2003
Hey MiScott

One place that I would suggest is the Geels South trail and the new ORV route that comes down from Roscommon and intersects the Geels North loop.

This ORV route is real nice riding ... in my experiences is not overloaded with high speed riders or quads ... you may see the occasional jeep or 4WD truck but they are usually moving very slowly relative to you and the area is open and you generally have good visual leads. I believe this ORV route is about 10 miles long, so a round trip from Roscommon is a nice 20 mile trip and it is challenging enough to keep the little guy interested with enough rough spots that it is not boring. It is not whooped out and there is very little deep sand with which to contend. Then you could load up and drive south on old M-76 down to the Geels trail head ... about 12 miles or so. The connector leading across M-76 to the west is a couple of miles of dirt road but then it leads to the Geels South loop which can be ridden in chunks depending upon how far you want to ride. The two northern loops are real nice riding and would likely be fun for your young son based on your description of his ability ... plenty of places to stop and rest ... using the intra-trail connector, you can make two nice ~10 mile loops of basically single track that are not real tough to ride but would be plenty challenging.

Perhaps the best trail I could suggest would be Ambrose Lake ... this is a short loop ... approximately 9 miles or so ... it is wide, well groomed, free of any tough obstacles and yet is fun to ride. Your son will love this place ... it is single track that he will not be overwhelmed by and yet can build his riding skills by increasing the speed as he develops some confidence.

Hope these suggestions help ... I'm sure there are some trails on the west side of the state too ... maybe one of the guys from over there will offer some suggestions.

terry nestrick :cool:

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Grandfather / Father / Son Ride? Old State is great for beginners can be a bit sandy. Cedar Creek is a nice short loop but you really needed to have a buffer running in front of the little ones or beginners, as a lot of fast guy's will run this loop! The south loop is the preferred loop for young ones.

miScott

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Oct 19, 2003
You guys are awsome, thanks for all the suggestions!

I'm going to take him next weekend to one of the suggested places. If anyone else would like to get together for a father son (or daughter) ride, you are welcome to join us.

I still need to pull out the CCC map book and look at the locations on the map to see where they are in the state.

Thanks again,

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
Grand/Father/Son - HA! That's what was going on at the Geels loop on the 4th. My father inlaw, his son and grandson all rode the Geels loop. Grandson is 8 and just moved onto a PW80. His cousin is 9, also on a newer PW80, rode with them. The Geels system really makes it nice with the multiple smaller loop options. Even more fun when the sand is wet as there were quite a few "crashes" our first venture out when it was real dry.

As for maps and location, here's an easier one:
Hold your left hand out, palm away from you, fingers closed, thumb extended. Point to the knuckle on your index finger (furthest from finger nail). There you go.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Hi Scott - thought I better chip in here seems how we share that same GREAT name (pun definitly intended) - did you guys get the pun?
DO THIS, especially if you wanna camp, follow M-37 toward Brohman, just south of Brohman, 10 Mile Road comes in from the west. Turn west on 10 mile. Stay on 10 mile until you pass the Benton Lake National Forest Campground. The first corner that you come to after the campground you will want to turn right on (NOT THE ENTRANCE TO THE CAMPGROUND - KEEP GOING ON THE ROAD). If you look real close to your left immediatly after turning the corner you will see the MCCCT triangle on your left. Follow this road about 1/2 a block and you will see a camping area on your left (you can camp FREE on state land!). If you camp there the MCCCT will run right thru your camp ground. This section of the MCCCT is PERFECT for kids because it is bordered by gravel roads and the range that they can ride is VERY DEFINITIVE! Also, the trail is wide with very little sand. Also, the camping area is a HUGE play area!!
After this spot wears out, follow the gravel road North, GO BEYOND WHERE THE TRAIL COMES OUT OF THE SECTION YOU WERE JUST RIDING, go down the hill and across tank creek (I have a Deer hunting story I owe 2big4akdx about this bridge) about 1/2 mile and you will see where the MCCCT goes back into the woods on your left. After this point keep going on the gravel (lots of corners on the road) and the first two-track to the left that you come to turn left on - ya gotta watch for this, it kinda Y's off to the left on a hillside. Follow this trail to the next intersection and turn left again there. Right after you turn this left you will be in another camping area that also has the MCCCT going thru it. This section of the MCCCT is one of the best for doing what you are talking about! NOT LOADED WITH sand, NO whoops!! I have camped in these spots MANY TIMES and have had nothing but fun with my kids in them, the kind of fun you are looking for!!
Be warned that the second spot gives about 1 mile of trail to the south and more then that to the North, wont want to just turn the kid loose here! When the trail comes out on the paved road to the North, you are at the end of the "NON-STREET LEGAL" section! Oh yea, ORV stickers and rules apply but a REAL FUN AREA!!!
Even if you dont camp, it is still a nice spot to go play!!
Now go have fun with your child!! :ride:
SIGNED
Another GREAT SCOTT!! (now do you guys get the pun? :) )
Oh yea, LOOK AT THIS GUYS, both these GREAT SCOTTS ride GREAT BIKES - GREEN!!! :thumb:

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Woodsy and you wonder why you get lost???? Your directions read like sterio instructions.

I'm sure that post made sense in that black hole of a mind of your's, but on the screen....Well thats another thing altogether.....

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Once again you have totally misread me there ZMAN! :nener:
First of all I NEVER wonder why or how I get lost! I really dont want to know. Just knowing that I am lost is fun enough for me :)
Next thing is that my post didnt make any sense to me either, but I know if he follows it and his kids along they will have a RIOT cause they will be "up north" and possibly have a "Woodsy got us lost" adventure!
Tell ya what Scott, jump into your rig and follow my instructions to the letter. If you dont end up where I intended you to be call me (231-853-2719) and I will make sure you find it!! Hows that for service YZMAN! :thumb:
(sure hope Ted or Nestrick dont read this thread - my butts hanging out about 5 feet :) ) of course, having Huby read it would be even worst :yikes:

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
miScott, I'm looking for similar areas. After trying for the past year, I finally got my 11 year old daughter on the XR100 I've been holding for her for the past couple years (it used to be my middle son's, he quickly outgrew it). She is geeked about riding now that she has the clutch down (helped a bunch by putting on an MSR easy-pull clutch perch. This is HIGHLY RECOMMENED for XR100's, which for some reason have a terrible hard clutch pull and long clutch travel - definately not kid friendly).

So let us know where you end up going, some of us may join you.

Another couple tidbits: Riding in front of your kid also helps them by watching you and how you ride. May daughter already has commented on some things I've done and asked why/how/etc. Also on one recent ride together I took the old YZinger 80 out on the ride and rode that myself. She thought that was really neat (and funny). What it also did was give me a "kid's perspective" on the obstacles in front of me. What would be no problem on a full-sized bike can be an issue on a smaller bike (especially one pulling a body about 3 times larger than what it was made for).

miScott

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Oct 19, 2003
After comparing the driving distance to all the suggestions, the 2 closest ( @ 3 hours each way ) are either:
Geels South or Cedar Creek.

I'm planning, this Saturday at around 10:30.

I can either go to the east or west side, so to make the final decision, is there anyone who would like to bring out their kid(s) and join us?

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
From what I have hear the east side dosn't have nearly as many woops as we west siders have if that helps your decision making at all.

Otherwise I can meet ya at Ceder Creek with my 8 yr old some weekend. I am pretty busy for the next 3 weekends though. Although I may be able to squeeze in a ride this Sunday. or next Sunday depending on the weather.

Let me know

yzman400@hotmail.com

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
ZYMan, how the Holton/Horshoe renovation coming? Would this be more appropriate for kids now? Cedar has some good spots, but sometimes some of that sand gets really deep for little bikes.

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Horse shoe has a great loop for the kids. It is across the street from the staging area. It is like 8 miles.
BUT it is fairly tight single track. My 8 yr old made it thru all right but he has been riding singletrack for like 2 years now.

For beginers it dosn't allow a lot of room for error. But the field by the road is a nice place for them to roam around. My kid was zippin around there a bit last time we were there.

Cedar is a bit sandy in spots agreed. My kids TTR90 handles it better than his JR50 did. THe south loop aint that bad though. plus with the center conector you can make a shorter loop outta it.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
miScott said:
After comparing the driving distance to all the suggestions, the 2 closest ( @ 3 hours each way ) are either:
Geels South or Cedar Creek.

I'm planning, this Saturday at around 10:30.

I can either go to the east or west side, so to make the final decision, is there anyone who would like to bring out their kid(s) and join us?

Darn, I was just reminded tonight about a family reunion picnic in Lansing. Looks like both this ride and my planned "help" with the Jack Pine enduro are both out.

miScott

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Oct 19, 2003
decision has been made

My son and I will be riding Cedar Creek on Saturday.
We will be in the parking lot between 10:30 - 11:00.

I hope some other ppl can make it. According to weather.com the rain should have passed by by then. Should be a great day for riding.

I have a white suburban w/ a black flat bed trailer, and will have the 2 green machines.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Top Bottom