King County Washington - looking for trails

Fultoncm

Apr 14, 2005
I'm new to this forum, and Washington State. I am moving to Maple Valley in June and was wondering where some trails are at. I've heard from Maple Valley locals that there are a few in the area, but no exact locations. Any help would be much appreciated. I'll also be looking for people to ride with...special note: I'll have a keg in the garage for those who want freebies after some riding. :boss:

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
You'll have to cross the mountains. All the good trails are over here. And you can bring the keg. :)

Fultoncm

Apr 14, 2005
If I can get a generator to power the fridge, it'll be there! I have only been in Eastern Washington once, on my drive from Florida to here, and from what I could see it was a desert. I must be wrong.

I'll have to find some underground spots near Maple Valley to keep me busy during the week.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Fulton,
Welcome to Warshington!

Do some searches in the Western Chapters forum. Sorry can't help more then that!

Fultoncm

Apr 14, 2005
I'll keep my eye posted on that. I got a book from the local Suzuki shop that has all the public places to ride, that helps, but I want to find those hidden spots that aren't on any map or brochure. We had dozens of those where I grew up in Ohio.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Fultoncm said:
If I can get a generator to power the fridge, it'll be there! I have only been in Eastern Washington once, on my drive from Florida to here, and from what I could see it was a desert. I must be wrong.

I'll have to find some underground spots near Maple Valley to keep me busy during the week.
Well first of all, there's nothing wrong with dez riding, especially since it means we can keep our bikes out all winter. Dunes at 2, maybe 3 different areas or deserty trails in the hills are all easily accessible. The yearly Desert 100 race that was just a couple weekends ago in Odessa draws hundreds of riders and spectators.

Second, it's certainly NOT all like that! Here in Ellensburg the eastern slopes of the Cascades are 30 minutes from town, and beautiful forested riding trails stretch from down just west of Yakima clear up to the Canadian border. Taneum, Naches, Lake Wenatchee, Salmon la Sac/Teanaway, the Sawtooths ...
You can check out some of my trail pics at http:photos.yahoo.com/flyin_firecracker22 in the Taneum, Lake Wenatchee or Teanaway folders. My photo gallery here has a couple, too.

And then, further east by Spokane, there's even more great riding. I used to live over there and really liked it, too.

So whenever you get ready to ride, post in the "Places to Ride" or "West" forums and we'll round up some people. I'm giving my broken arm a few more weeks of heal-time, but by mid-May I hope to be riding again. I can always round up a crew to hit Taneum or Lake Wen.

Attachments

• LakeWenJuly3.jpg
    LakeWenJuly3.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 839
  • LakeWen5.jpg
    LakeWen5.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 760

Fultoncm

Apr 14, 2005
You know, I'd be down for coming over to that side of WA and checking that out. Probably more over there than here. All the narrow-minded hippies in Seattle can't see that far! LOL

It'll definitely be June before I get a chance to make a trip like that, but I'll be sure to post something when I do.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Ripper125

Mar 26, 2005
I am in Issaquah, no more than 20 minutes from Maple Valley. The places right around where you are are pretty much some nice gravel pits and small trails, but up north a place called Reihter pit (SP), which is only about 50 minutes from us has some really good riding. By ellensberg there is manastash, which I hear is pretty amazing. You let me know whenever you want to ride and I'd be glad to come along. I'll share a few brews with you after to!

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I live in Ellensburg--Taneum is the place you want to go. It ties into Manastash, but the Taneum area is closer and has better access to a wider variety of trails. There's also Salmon la Sac and Teanaway on the north side of the freeway, but I have only been there once and don't know it as well. It's really cool though. I should be riding again by mid-May (busted arm) so let me know if/when you guys head this way. We still have some snow, should be more melted by then.

Fultoncm

Apr 14, 2005
Ripper, I made it up to Reiter Rd. on Monday. Freakin' sweet. If there is something better than that, then it must be heaven. I only got to ride for 30 minutes, but I loved every bit of it. The bike just stalled out and would not restart. I'm thinking the carb needs cleaned and a new plug. Since I live in downtown Seattle I have no where to work on it, so I'm going to wait until June to ride again. I'll be in the house and have all my tools.

I'll be down for rounding up people and going out. I've been looking into getting a nice kegerator on Craigslist (spare freezer too) and keeping some Mac and Jacks Amber in it. I'd like to do Guinness, but it takes eurpean connections and nitrogen, so it might be difficult to get together. The Mac and Jacks will do though!

Fultoncm

Apr 14, 2005
Reiter Rd is over near Stevens Pass. Take I-5 to Hwy 2, go East on Hwy 2. You'll be on Hwy 2 for like 25 miles. You'll come into a small town called Gold Bar. Just as you leave Gold Bar you'll see a Fire Station on the left side of Hwy 2, Reiter Rd is the next left. Turn onto Reiter and then when it branches to the left, stay stright (or to the right). You can't miss it from there. You'll see parking on the left and tons of rock obstacle for rock crawlers. Park there and then ride out down the trail on the left side of Reiter. It opens into some power lines and man it just goes everywhere. I was really impressed. I've ridden some trails in Ohio and PA, but this was something else. It was cool seeing the 4X4's rock crawl over car size boulders too.

leemrw

Jun 24, 2014
I am in Issaquah, no more than 20 minutes from Maple Valley. The places right around where you are are pretty much some nice gravel pits and small trails, but up north a place called Reihter pit (SP), which is only about 50 minutes from us has some really good riding. By ellensberg there is manastash, which I hear is pretty amazing. You let me know whenever you want to ride and I'd be glad to come along. I'll share a few brews with you after to!
Coming to this really late but the gravel pits and small trails in Maple Valley are exactly what I am looking for in the near future.

Would you mind sharing what these are?

leemrw

Jun 24, 2014

Coming to this really late but the gravel pits and small trails in Maple Valley are exactly what I am looking for in the near future.

Would you mind sharing what these are?

Top Bottom