kxryder909

Jul 11, 2007
I recently had the seals replaced and have noticed that one of them leaks bad. I tried cleaning out the seal but it still leaks. Any ideas. Also how do I take the fork apart to add oil?

kxryder909

Jul 11, 2007
Another fork question

Is it ok to add fork oil by removing the top screw. It's been leaking and i'm afraid it's too low. Thanks

motodr9

Sep 1, 2003
Did whomever replaced the seals check the lower tubes for nicks/dings. Try the seal sweep: pull down the wiper and use some 35mm negative filmstrip to clean between the lower tube and the oil seal. If that does not work then...

If you paid a shop to rebuild your forks then talk to them about re-doing the job on the offending fork.

If not...take the leaking fork off and take it down to inspect the lower tube very carefully. If any sharp edges or high spots are found- buff them down with a craytex bit and a drill (go easy, only remove the high spots). The bad news is...you need a new seal on the fork.

hoosierf

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 6, 2001
With WP forks I find it helpful to take the springs out of the seals and unscrew them. Believe it or not, the springs in the seals have a male and female end. You can unscrew them then cut 5mm off the female end and screw them back together. I had an '03 200EXC that did the same thing and this fix cured it for three years, so far.

Top Bottom