Ktm 500exc Front Brakes Locking up

marz172

Oct 1, 2019
Hello,
I've recently flushed the front brake on my 2012 500exc and when taking the bike around the block the front brake lever gradually became firmer until the brake remained on. I had to release the pressure in the lines for it to give way. When i got back home i inspected the master cylinder and went through a few cycles of flushing the brakes and noticed large amount of air built up in the first few cycles, then afterwards none. I went for multiple other small rides and this happened everytime. I'm not sure what this could be but some people suggested either the return hole might be blocked, however I'm not sure how the brakes would work for a few minutes then gradually firm up, or the cylinder was overfilled but I did it to the height stated in the manual. Any help would be much appreciated!
Thankyou.

The Redrider

Jun 14, 2019
Hello,
I've recently flushed the front brake on my 2012 500exc and when taking the bike around the block the front brake lever gradually became firmer until the brake remained on. I had to release the pressure in the lines for it to give way. When i got back home i inspected the master cylinder and went through a few cycles of flushing the brakes and noticed large amount of air built up in the first few cycles, then afterwards none. I went for multiple other small rides and this happened everytime. I'm not sure what this could be but some people suggested either the return hole might be blocked, however I'm not sure how the brakes would work for a few minutes then gradually firm up, or the cylinder was overfilled but I did it to the height stated in the manual. Any help would be much appreciated!
Thankyou.
Hi Marz, I have the same issue with my 2 CR's. I seems all of the washing, riding in crud wreaks havoc on the pistons on those calipers. Let me see if I can find you a video for a quick fix...

Top Bottom