yog22

Mar 20, 2007
I have a 2002 kawasaki kx 250. It is plenty fast but I want it faster. What are some things that I can do to make it faster so I can outrace my friends. I can't spend too much money though.

just_a_rider

Jul 25, 2006
Dito. No dought you have to jump the jumps in order to keep the pace up but thats not where the race is won. Cornering is where it's at, get to where you can stay on the pipe more going through the corners and you will see a dif.

yog22

Mar 20, 2007
kx 250 best pipe

I have a 2002 kawasaki kx 250. What pipe should I buy for it. I do a lot of things. I hillclimb, I race, and I go to the sand dunes. Which pipe would be best? Also I have a 12 tooth front sprocket on it. Should I buy a 14 tooth front sprocket to lengthen out the gears?

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
If you do dunes and hills, the only way to go is with a 500. You could probably get $2500 for your bike and turn it around and buy a really nice 86/87 CR500 that will spank anything on the dunes and still have about $1000 left over. The suspension will be a little dated, but it's about the fastest motor out there (a favorite with the hill climbers). 500's suck on most hardpack tracks, though.

The truth is, you're not going to make much more horsepower out of the 250 than it already makes. There might be another 2-3 horsepower hidden in there, but it's going to cost a ton of money to release. You can change the power characteristics with pipes and reeds, though. A gnarly pipe with 2-stage reeds is going to have a stronger bottom end and a Rev/SST pipe with single stage reeds is going to have more top end. If you want horsepower, buy everything that builds high end power. I do suggest a bigger sproket in the front, but the actual sprocket you run depends on your transmission gearing and rear sprocket size. I personally run a 14 front and a 51 rear on my CR250. It's very slightly faster than stock and I love it for everything from single tracks to wide open. There are times when 1st is a little too high, but that just encourages me to go faster.

Top Bottom