KX250newb

Dec 25, 2005
Getting ready to do the top end on my 00 kx250. Manual states that you need a torque wrench adapter in order to tighten the cylinder down (too tight for a socket). Is there another way? Does Sears (or other) carry such an adapter?

Already have the piston, rings, bearing, clips, waiting on gaskets.

Any help would be appreciated.

bobby bo

Mar 4, 2004
i think what u need is a crows foot,, thats what we call it.. it will be 12mm or 14mm on one end and have a square hole on the other side where you insert the torque wrench. looks like a wrench but where the closed end of the wrench would be is where you insert the torque... now if thats what u need you will also need a formula to get the correct torque.

KX250newb

Dec 25, 2005
yes, that's it, I saw a picture in the manual. If I am able to use the torque wrench at a 90 degree angle to the adapter no recalculation is needed, the torque will translate.

I think I am going to go with a open ended wrench and rig it. :laugh: It should be ok as long as it is a solid connection and I am 90 degrees when I apply the force.

Thanks for the help!

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
Motion Pro makes a special adapter that goes on your torque wrench just for that purpose. Cost is under $20 bucks and it makes you look cool when you open up that toolbox. It should be available at your local bike shop.

KX250newb

Dec 25, 2005
The manual calls for 34 N*m. Haven't found a shop nearby that has one. I'll give it a try without it using an open wrench as an adapter. Might be tricky but if it doesnt feel right then I will order the adapter. Thanks for the help!

KX250newb

Dec 25, 2005
Alright.....got it apart, all looks good except for a small groove on the top of the cylinder. I assume since I can feel it with my finger that it is a problem. Any guidance would be appreciated, I don't have the tools to measure the bore....

Should I take to a shop and have them check it for me?

j32

Uhhh...
Jun 8, 2006
in the head?? dont worry about it
in the cyl-yea how bad,how big-could affect the compression
cros-vs-standard--well tighten a handel bar bolt or different bolt to see if theres any difference in ft lbs-/ - from with it or with a standard socket,i would'nt worry though i think it is because of the head design ( a reg socket wont fit)
i have rebuilt them without torq wrenches -but its important because of the water seal

Top Bottom