TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
The kickstart gears iside the right side case may have stripped, or other parts of the kickstart mechanism may be shot. You're going to have to pull the right side cover off, and examine the kickstart mechanism to determine what needs repairing.

Micahdawg

Feb 2, 2001
Common problem. Typical fix is to remove the kickstart ratcheting pawl and place more tension on the spring. It's pretty easy to figure out. You'll have to remove the right side case, then just a bolt or two will remove the whole ratchet pawl. Take the unit to your workbench, disassemble (there are like 6 pieces to the whole thing) and then upon reassembly you can place a washer or two in with the spring to make the spring tighter. Or you can just stretch the spring out. Either way, more spring tension takes care of the slipping problem. We did this fix on a 89 KX125 and took like 30 minutes.

earl pittz

Uhhh...
Mar 9, 2007
If the teeth are chewed up at all I would replace the ratchet. It will only make more problems like chunks of metel coming off. That would cause lots of trouble.

just_a_rider

Jul 25, 2006
It hasn't been to long ago I done this proceedure, not for slipping probs but because my big foot broke the darn shaft off. If your a hands on dude you should be able to breeze through this.

boxy1961

Mar 9, 2007
Micahdawg said:
Common problem. Typical fix is to remove the kickstart ratcheting pawl and place more tension on the spring. It's pretty easy to figure out. You'll have to remove the right side case, then just a bolt or two will remove the whole ratchet pawl. Take the unit to your workbench, disassemble (there are like 6 pieces to the whole thing) and then upon reassembly you can place a washer or two in with the spring to make the spring tighter. Or you can just stretch the spring out. Either way, more spring tension takes care of the slipping problem. We did this fix on a 89 KX125 and took like 30 minutes.
stripped right side down no teeth missing or worn put back together still slipping any ideas

earl pittz

Uhhh...
Mar 9, 2007
Does your kick starter go through the clutch and then to the flywheel? If so then you probably need to tighten the clutch. The same thing happened on a bike I had.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom