razorboy

Jul 12, 2005
Hi Folks,

Just picked my son up a 2002 KX65 yesterday. Bike is completely stock and has very low hours.

I have the manual for it and will be going through all of the adjustments this afternoon to be certain that it is factory set prior to making any adjustments for him.

He is 118lbs and I wanted to get recommendations for setting this suspension up for his riding weight. He rides the mini track at Piru which is probably a 3-gear track tops. Lots of turns and a couple of elavation changes. Plus, about 4 jumps.

Any ideas?

Cheers
B2

razorboy

Jul 12, 2005
FruDaddy said:
Start with stiffer springs.

What weight is the KX65 setup for out of the factory?

Thanx for the response....

B2

deadhead

Mar 25, 2001
My son races a 105cc Unlimited Mini and weighs less than 118. I believe the maximum weight Kawasaki recommends on the KX65 frame is 123. Get a bigger bike.

deadhead

razorboy

Jul 12, 2005
deadhead said:
My son races a 105cc Unlimited Mini and weighs less than 118. I believe the maximum weight Kawasaki recommends on the KX65 frame is 123. Get a bigger bike.

deadhead

Originally, it was supposed to be be a KX85.
He is learning to ride at Piru which has a big track and a mini track. He wants to do a little racing in novice class there but the limit for the mini track is 65cc. Well, actually it is 110cc in 4-stroke like the KLX bikes. If he had a KX85, he would be forced to run the big track which he is nowhere near good enough yet to handle that track in any fast capacity.
This is about a 6 month operation for him. Then I will get him the 85 and his younger brother who is 7, will inherit the 65.

Cheers
B2

deadhead

Mar 25, 2001
Interesting plan. How tall is he? My son wanted to race his KX65 "just one more season" a few years ago when he was pushing about 80 pounds. I got heavier springs, a one millimeter shorter pair of link bars to raise the rear end, dropped the forks all the way down in the triple clamp, and added the handlebar riser kit that puts the bars an inch higher and further forward. I even went with heavier weight fork oil. After five races he admitted the bars still hit his knees. We were finally done with 65s, but not after a big layout of time and cash.

Although I understand the plan, at 118 pounds the stock suspension won't properly carry him. If he starts jumping even a little, he'll be bottoming out, and that's when stuff breaks. Also, you need to be careful of frame cracks, especially near the motor mounts and the subframe tubes.

They're great bikes, don't get me wrong, but they're small for a reason.

deadhead

High Sider

Feb 25, 2006
I think we hear what your son and you are trying to accomplish but for the sake of staying competitive in a class and track that he is "use" to he may be in danger of getting hurt riding a bike that really isn't for him anymore. My son is 4'8" and 90 lbs and I am looking at having to move him up from the kx65 now too. Instead of getting just a little more time and spending a lot more money I would encourage him to make the transition now. I'm looking at the KTM 105, the Honda CRF150R(the new racing 4stroke from honda) and of course the 85cc 2 strokes. It's driving me crazy too so I feel your pain but your boy really should move up. good luck. :blah: :blah:

Top Bottom