Lincoln Hills trail maintance Sat 8-7-04 10:00am at 7 mile staging area.

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
The West Michigan Trail riders will be there Saturday doing maintance. All are welcome to join us. I hear that there are a few trees that need to be cleared as well as a lot of brushing in the clear cuts that needs to happen. The more help the better.

We will be meeting at the 7 mile staging area off of us-37 north of us-10. We will be there at 10:00am.

If interested you can call me for more info or just show up. If you have it bring a small folding saw or Machette. Although we will have some tools with us also.

UPDATE: As of 8/5 we only have maybe 2-3 people that are coming out. We need more help. If the slackers in our club wont help us then maybe the fine folk here will step up.

Hope to see ya's there (PLEASE ;) )
Don
(231) 773-2627

Nestrick

Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 6, 2003
Darn!

This would have been a nice way to meet you and some of the West Sider guys ... but, got a short notice opportunity to ride in the UP [Dan Djokovic] and will be leaving about an hour from now and not back until late Sunday.

Will try to catch the next opportunity ...

terry nestrick :(

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Tell Dan D. I said hi.

But your in luck!
We will also be doing Maintance next Saturday the 14th at the Caberfae trail if interested in that one. We will be camping at our cabin / trailer near Baldwin for anyone interested in a camp / work / party weekend.

dnrtheil

Mar 18, 2003
Not able to make it for the maintenance, although I will be in Baldwin this weekend. Saturday I have to apply letters and graphics to a new rescue vehicle for Lake Township Fire Department. Curious to know what type of maintenance is done to the trails, i.e. remove deadfall, cut back the weeds/brush, smooth out the whoops, or replace missing signs. Thanks in advance for the info.

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
We do everything you mentioned except for the woop removal.

Although with only 2 guys Saturday due to ALL THE SLACKERS IN THE WMTR we will probably only be doing deadfall removal and minor brushing. There is only so much 2 guys can do in an afternoon.

OH UPDATE: We are now meeting at 8:30am seeing as its only 2 of us. Might as well get an early start.

dnrtheil

Mar 18, 2003
Does anybody do whoop removal? A few whoops are fun but not a whole trail system full, like the MCCT south out of Baldwin. Where is the ORV sticker money going? Can whoop removal even be done on single track trails?

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
The CCC handles the trail grading. They have 3 custom Kubota tractors that they groom the trails with. BUT they cant get down all the trails. trails that are designated motorcycles only usualy do not get groomed due to the tightness of them. Horseshoe is a good example of that as it has never been groomed that I know of. Trails that are bike/quad usually get done. They usually only do them in the spring and fall. Summer grooming is kinda a waist of time due to the dry weather. After they do the grooming they need rain to pack it back down otherwise it gets wooped out quickly again.

http://www.cycleconservationclub.org/v_nav/ccc_trailwork.html

dnrtheil

Mar 18, 2003
YZMAN400 said:
But your in luck!
We will also be doing Maintance next Saturday the 14th at the Caberfae trail if interested in that one. We will be camping at our cabin / trailer near Baldwin for anyone interested in a camp / work / party weekend.

I rode from the Caberfae parking lot all the way north (as far as an unlicensed bike can legally go) Sunday afternoon. You will need a chain saw, not too far from the parking lot is a downed tree, that is too big for me to move by myself. After that there are two more trees down, but easy to get over, so I left them. I also removed most other items from the trail, especially anything that was impassible. This should make you planned clean up day easier. Never did go south, started getting dark, took me about 4 hours round trip

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Way cool that you helped. Much apreciated.

Were all the downed trees that you encountered on the Connector trail that goes east outta the parking lot, or were some on the North spur?

I know that there are trees down on the southern section, to Lincoln Bridge (had a report a few weeks ago)

Last weekend at Lincoln Hills we carried a chainsaw in a backpack. Prettty good workout having 10 lbs or so on your back for 30 some miles.

dnrtheil

Mar 18, 2003
The connector trail has the downed trees. I was able to move the few I encountered on the north section. There is an up hill section near the end of the north section were people have been climbing the hill all the way up, rather than turning to the right where the trail marker points. I have to letter another truck for the fire dept. and plan or ridding the southern section towards the bridge then, that may not happen 'till the end of the month.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
YZMAN, DNRTHEIL, WEST MICHIGAN TRAILRIDERS, and all you other trail laying, stump removing, chain saw lovin, branch cuttin, log sawing, trail markin, stick throwing, WHOOP FIXIN, trail head planning, machete wielding yahhhoooooosss out there!!!
THANK YOU!!!
You folks are GREATLY appreciated (yes, even you Chris Huber :) )
Woodsy

Top Bottom