DaveRS575

Sponsoring Member
Aug 15, 2002
foxlady said:
Just moved to Vegas, female, looking for people to ride with....don't mind going to So. CA...any thoughts?

For some reason, you two have me wishing I lived in vegas or southern California. :debil:

(((flirt)))

kdx200chick

Mar 27, 2004
I just moved back here to SOCAL from Monterey and just love it. There is nothing like being able to go out of your driveway and jump on a trail for a couple of hours or have a dozen tracks within an hours radius. I started racing when I was six and gave it up in my early 20's. Now it's just riding for fun! I'm getting over a sprained ankle (I just HAD to go riding in the rain...and rainrut found me and spit me out! HARD!) and will be good to go in a few weeks. There is another lady that I ride with who is an awesome rider as well so it would be fun to get a group together. Just let us know when you are coming down and we'll get something planned! Do you have kids and a husband? If so, do they ride?
Petra

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
You should both consider joining our enduro club, Training Wheels Motorcycle Club. We are a family club and put on events for members and guests once a month - usually at either Spangler Hills, Stoddard Wells, or in Lucerne Valley. The events are scaled down enduros and let me tell you they are a blast !!!! Many DRN'rs are members. Here's a link to our website: http://www.trainingwheelsmc.com/

Our next event is the weekend of November 19th and 20th ... you should both come and check it out ! You won't be disappointed - it's a great club.

Last edited:

kdx200chick

Mar 27, 2004
thanks Eel,

I will pass this along to my family and our friends! Unfortunately, I don't think we will be able to participate until after the new year since we are both married to marines and one of them is in Iraq. He is expected to return sometime in January. The other, mine, has no life due to work so much of the riding has been close to home (sometimes w/ him, but mostly w/out!). Being new to the area, where are the places that you have mentioned (i.e. spangler, stoddard, lucerne, etc.) ?

Petra

CRF_Tom

Jun 16, 2005
Where to ride

Hello kdxchick. Here are a few of the places to ride. Stoddard and Lucerne valley are off of the I-15. You go north like you are going to vegas. Then from there follow the signs. For Spangler you would go north on the I-15 until you get to the 395. Take the 395 north and it's about another hour to hour and a half from there. You drive until you get to red mtn. Right on Trona rd and then you drive about 8-10 miles. I figure from temecula it's about a three hour drive to Spangler. There is also Ocotillo Wells. Which for you would be a tad closer. You can either take the 78E. or take the 10 to the 86S. Ocotillo is out near Salton sea. Then there is Glamis if you like to ride in the sand. It's just a tough ride on two wheels. I hope that answers your question about the riding spots around here.

God Bless and Semper Fi

dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
Kdx200chick, You stated that it's good to ride out of the driveway and get to the trails. What trails in Temecula are you talking about. We use to ride some of the farm areas around there, but most of that stuff is off limits now with all the new homes and the new Riverside riding reg's coming out. I've heard that Ryan Huges had some trails out in Temecula that he used for GNCC training. Where is the big question. If you can pass it on, where are you riding and is it legal? I'm on the Fallbrook side of the mountain and I know there are DS or tagged bike trails (dirt roads) running up towards the Santa Margarita, but I can't ride them I only have a greensticker. I run all the way up the 15 to SBCO (high desert) these days to ride. It's some of the better desert riding around, but it's a heck of a drive. Have you ridden the trails up at Wildomar. They are tight, but fun and woods like.
Pass on any of your trial info if you can.
Ed

kdx200chick

Mar 27, 2004
Ed,

No, the trails aren't legal but I wish they were! I live on the most eastern point of 79south (redhawk sub). So far, I haven't run into any problems. Basically, the rule is not to stop and talk to anyone along the way and beat it out of there if you do run into someone. I ride during the week while there isn't much chance to be seen. The first time we were stationed here aboard Camp Pendleton there was a group of riders trying to legalize an area up there (camp pen)called K-Springs (where the buffalo roam...really!) and the commanding general was really considering it for certain days of the week when not in use by the marines for training purposes. I haven't heard anything about that since our return but it neighbors the legalized riding area off Ortega Hw and those who do ride up there illegally jump the fence into the riding area there... They are (in Ksprngs )allowing 4wheeling and fishing, so the dirtriders are trying to get their permission as well. It's not hard to get on base if it does happen. All you will have to do is sign in and show your i.d. As far as the trails by my house, if you want to pm me I'll be happy to pass the Temecula info along. I have seen a truck park in hidden areas along the trail nearby to ride. I've only ridden it once and will be riding it again as soon as my ankle heels up. Several of my neighbors ride it weekly and never seem to run into any issues. I haven't heard of the trails in Wildomar. Are they legal? We've gone to Ocatillo but not since our return this summer. We also have ridden off HW8 at the Pinevalley exit. Single trail and some fire roads. That's legal but 2 way riding. Mostly, we've been riding at Amago off the 76. 20$ a pop but there aren't many people and after taking a look at Elsinore and watching the seemingly thousands of trucks on the 79 heading for Cahuilla, I prefer Amago or we drive to Hungry Valley (Gorman) but that's getting cold this time of the year...

Oh yeah, Eel, thanks for the links you sent! I hope we never get stationed any where else! I love California!

Petra

Last edited:

dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
Petra, I think I know of the area off 79 the trails run out by Woodchuck Lane or whatever that road is called. I use to see people out there all the time until the fires a few years back. It’s always look fun, but with my luck these days I’d be paying tickets or worse. I’ve been sticking to the legal areas ever since we got run out of the San Jacinto River area up in Perris and that was County and BLM lands. I agree with you about Amago. I use to go there on my Fridays off and ride for 10.00 when the water truck was down. It was fun and it felt like a little Carlsbad track (a true lost treasure). Now they have more of the pushed up jumps like the other tracks, but it still has somewhat of a natural GP feel. Cahuilla is by far the best track this side of Glen Helen, the dirt is so nice it reminds me of the east coast loams. Ruts and whoops quick. I like riding it on a 4 stroke over the 2 stoke though. I’ve also only ridden on weekends and it can be crazy for sure. When the pros are out there it’s fast, but I just keep pushing on and hope to say on my lines. As for the Base stuff, I been told buy some of the riders around Fallbrook that they use to ride there, but not anymore. As for The Ortega and Killen Tr area north of the Base on CNF lands, that’s the Wildomar OHV and it’s legal. But it’s a long drive up to the top of the mountain too. I usually opt to just drive on north to SBNF at Cajon pass or up past Victorville. Thanks for the feedback, you never know till you ask.
Ed

kdx200chick

Mar 27, 2004
WHAT!!! Only 10 dollars when the water truck was down???? They charge 20 during the week and don't even water! Hmm, I even suggested to the guy running the entrance that they shouldn't charge as much since the track isn't prepped during the week. It is fun though! The track I ride there is the vet track which only has a few jumps now. A longer table top and a few small ones. There are never more than a handful of people out there. You have definately peaked my interest in riding Cahuilla... Maybe I'll try it during the week while everyone is working so I won't have to fight the throngs of people! If you like the loom feel of a ride and prefer the trails I suggest riding at Mammoth Lake. It is very East Coast feeling. If the Camp Pen base pans out, you won't have to drive the long distance to Wildomar (I tried to use Ortega HW as a cut through to Orange county once and I was sick on the side of the road! Never again will I drive that road!), it will only be apprx 30 minutes to K-spring from the Fallbrook gate. I'll see if my husband can start researching that info. Several of the military bases DO alow riding (ex. Camp Lejeune allows riders to use the tank trails! and even has a dirtbike club! El Centro, 29 palms just to name a few) Well, thanks again for the info and I'll look forward to getting together w/ some of the fellow DRN'rs. When we were up in Monterey several of us would ride Hollister weekly and they are an awesome group! I can't wait to meet everyone here!

Petra

CRF_Tom

Jun 16, 2005
Not to rain on anyones parade. But with what the county was doing this last past year with the proposed ord. It would behove us to ride legal areas. All that the county has to do is get more information that there are illegal riders out in the hills and trails. Let's keep it legal. Just my .02 worth.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
I agree .... riding illegal makes us out to be exactly what they want us to be.

june82000

Nov 10, 2005
Hi P---A

kdx200chick said:
I just moved back here to SOCAL from Monterey and just love it. There is nothing like being able to go out of your driveway and jump on a trail for a couple of hours or have a dozen tracks within an hours radius. I started racing when I was six and gave it up in my early 20's. Now it's just riding for fun! I'm getting over a sprained ankle (I just HAD to go riding in the rain...and rainrut found me and spit me out! HARD!) and will be good to go in a few weeks. There is another lady that I ride with who is an awesome rider as well so it would be fun to get a group together. Just let us know when you are coming down and we'll get something planned! Do you have kids and a husband? If so, do they ride?
Petra

It just rained up here yesterday for the first time, we're going to Hollister for the long T-giving weekend (Wed-Sun), wish you could be there. Maybe we can hook up in Hungry Valley soon.

~Dave J.

kdx200chick

Mar 27, 2004
DAVE is that you???? How's my old bike doing!!! Let me know when you are going to Hungry Valley....It's going to be cold this time of year though!!! We are coming down for spring break and will be staying at Kathy and Ben's house in Soquel. We'll be bringing the bikes of course so you will have to come out and meet us! :aj:

Petra

june82000

Nov 10, 2005
kdx200chick said:
DAVE is that you???? How's my old bike doing!!! Let me know when you are going to Hungry Valley....It's going to be cold this time of year though!!! We are coming down for spring break and will be staying at Kathy and Ben's house in Soquel. We'll be bringing the bikes of course so you will have to come out and meet us! :aj:

Petra
Yeah it's me, I emailed you back. Don't worry, your old bike(s) are fine. Oh yeah, they're going to start tearing down houses in January on the other end of Shubrick. Time to start riding back there!! :joke:

vegasjackass

Nov 13, 2001
i'm in vegas

i would love to show you my favorite spots in vegas to ride. i ride a 1998 kdx200, mostly ride weekdays, some weekends i ride with my stepson. let me know, james 736-0067..

KX2fitty

Mar 30, 2004
Do you ride the Mojave dez often? There is some good riding in southern NV and southern UT for sure. Let us know when you want to ride SoCal dez.

Top Bottom