Lost all my radiator water today.

bleeds

Oct 17, 2005
Today we were out riding, and my bike started to act funny. Over-revving on its on, detonating and the like. I wasnt sure why it was doing this. I had went to the BR8EG Plug to try it out since my manual says that is the one I should use, so I thought maybe it was that. Well, I decided to check my water for some reason, and noticed just steam coming out of it. I didnt have any water for miles, so I found a bottle and got some water off the top of the creek. It wasnt real dirty or anything, so I figured it would be ok. When I started to pour it in I noticed water pouring out near my leg. It was the drain plug on my water pump housing. DAMN, it had fell out somehow and all my water was gone. WE had no screw and we were a long way from the truck. SO we found a stick and jammed it in the hole, and filled it up. Shortly after it cooled off and ran fine afterwards, mostly. It did however require that I lean up the air screw from then on out for it to run without bogging and it really didnt run as good as it had been, but close. I am going to open it up to make sure I didnt hurt anything. This thing was really hot, and it even started to boil over at first, then it cooled off and seemed to be ok. The question is, could this have damaged my bike? Rings? Piston? Head? Anyone else run out of water before?
Bleeds

QKENUF4U

Nov 13, 2005
being an 82 it could have toasted lots of parts. get a gasket set and pull the top end apart. look for any scoring on the cylinder/piston walls etc. if you see anything questionable i would prob. replace it. check ring end gap and make sure your water pump is still working.would prob. be a good idea to do a compression check while there. also what does the plug look like ?
good luck

bleeds

Oct 17, 2005
I pulled the top end apart right after I wrote that post. I do have something that looks like sieze on the intake side. The exhaust side looks fine. There is no crankpin rod bearing play at all (very nice) Very little side to side and no up and down. There was what I think might have been a tiny almost not for sure type movement on the wristpin rod bearing. It was so little that I wasnt sure it was actually moving. I have some pics of the piston. There was one time while I was riding it, and I was sitting there idling (before we found it had no water) and it just suddenly died. Not a sputter then die, but a sudden STOP. I didnt think to much about it, but looking back I bet it was right then that it seized. The cylinder is fine. No marks and still has plenty of crosshatch (recent topend rebuild. Less than 20 Hours). I am thinking that if I mic the piston, and it is still inspec, and the ring gap is as well I will reuse it all. I will replace the top rod bearing just to be safe. One thing though. The piston, while on the wristpin, has alot of side to side. NOT rocking side to side, but sliding along the wristpin from clip to clip. I do not know if that is normal, but I noticed it in other bikes I have worked on. Also, the head gasket had blown as well, that might have been the slight bog we were getting. It wasnt a real bad blow, but examining the gasket, you can see it. Anyway, here is a link to view the pics. Dial-up beware, might be large.
Just a side note:
The inside of the piston was spotless. not even a hint of black. Lean?
The bottom end when I rotate the crank, is very effectivly oiled. I was very pleased with that.
Bleeds

www.iwaynet.net/~adkg1.cr/Piston_good.bmp
www.iwaynet.net/~adkg1.cr/piston_1_red.bmp

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
First off, I wish I had my 82 CR125 back again. I know that ain't what you have but I liked those bikes when I was mid-20's. Funny though. Once I ran my CR125R about two laps on an mx w/o water and did little damage. The top end on that is sooo simple (no p/v - right?). Since you got it apart measure everything. If it's out of round you can bore over since it's not a plated cylinder. If it's w/i spec I'd replace the piston/rings/top bearing, and gaskets. Hone it lightly or just use a scotchbrite pad (if you have evidence of small intake scuffing). How does the waterpump look? On those year CRs the alloy used in manufacturing was prone to corrosion in the cavity. That's why it's super important to only use distilled water and antifreeze. I had to replace my entire engine cover once. Good luck and post a pic of the bike if you can.

bleeds

Oct 17, 2005
SO what you are saying is that the little bit of intake scuffing isnt real bad, and most likely things will be fine? I am going to mic the piston, and check ring end gap. I dont have a tool to check the cylinder for out of round. If everything is within spec, I am going to just put it back together. With new gaskets of course. Wish me luck.!!
www.iwaynet.net/~adkg1.cr/cr250r_1.jpg
Bleeds

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
i see youre in ohio, are you gonna do some winter riding?

bleeds

Oct 17, 2005
I plan to with my little brother and some friends. I am to the understanding we will have to richen things up a bit.. but it should be ok..Why do you ask..?
Bleeds

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
bleeds said:
I plan to with my little brother and some friends. I am to the understanding we will have to richen things up a bit.. but it should be ok..Why do you ask..?
Bleeds

just that if it was me i'd freshen the piston and rings so id be starting out next spring with 0 time on the top end

bleeds

Oct 17, 2005
Good plan.. That is probably what I will do anyway even if I do get some winter SNOW riding in. Since I was here last, I have taken the rings off the piston, and looked at them more closly. The bottom ring is missing the little tab that the others have. It looks like it has been broken off. It is in direct line with the scuff on the piston. I think the piston is ok though. What do I check for to make sure it is within specs? There are no cracks, no chips, or anything of major visual concern. DoI mic it to see what it mics?
Bleeds

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
i may be wrong but i think rings are about 25$ and for 50$ more you can get a piston with rings and wrist pin and circlips , you would just need 11$ for a wrist pin bearing and the entire top end will be new, and you will be done with it for a while ;)

bleeds

Oct 17, 2005
Where can you find it all for that price? Wiseco wants well over 118, and the piston pin isnt included. Then I need a top bearing, and gaskets..LOL If you do really know a place for sure where I can get those things cheaper do tell. Would love to save what ever I can..
Bleeds..

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
hint: you can bid on it or buy it now for 65.00 ;)

bleeds

Oct 17, 2005
LOL I cant find it. I find other that are almost the right one. I guess someone will have to email me the number. Oh well.. Probably not the one I need anyway. I need one that is 50mm. Maybe if I post my email someone will hook me up....LOL oh well wishful thinking..
Bleeds
sirbleeds at wideopenwest period com

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
i typed this in the search field "cr250 piston" ..............got these i dont know if you mean .50mm overbore but those down there range from 45.00 to 90.00, search on item # and you will get straight to those parts

gasket is item #4579598446

HONDA CR250 WISECO PISTON KIT .50MM OVER BORE CR 81-83 Item number: 4579710709

HONDA CR250 81-83 WISECO PISTON AND RINGS STD BORE Item number: 4588566590

GEN HONDA .25 PISTON ELSINORE CR250 CR250R 1981-83 NEW

Top Bottom