Joyrider52408

Jul 12, 2018
So I just bought a bike, its a 2008 Kawasaki KX450F. Haven't even ridden it yet. Bike is in amazing shape...

I took the bike in to get it looked over and just have a few other things done and they said they stopped when they saw this because that's how bad they thought this was. Guy I bought the bike from says "that is of course what they're going to say! They're out for your money!" Guys basically saying don't worry about it...

I've been reading through these comments and theirs not really any solid answer on whether or not its fine or really bad. Of course without a picture its difficult to help people so hopefully by looking at this picture I get some good feedback on what I should do next...try and return the bike to the guy I bought it from OR keep the damn thing and wish for the best...SCARY....

I paid $2,700 and theirs no way I have the time to take apart OR the money to have it rebuilt, which, I wouldn't do anyways because thats too much money in an older bike like this.

Main thing I got so far from this post, is that if their is BIG chunks= BAD....smaller fine chunks=OK but watch and change your oil frequently and keep an eye on it.

BUT, question still remains....to keep the bike OR say WTF you can keep the bike I want my money back...

Looking at the pictures...what do you guys think?! Should I be worried? Or just keep the bike and not worry about it. BIGGEST concern....riding and then it breaking down on the track and officially being out $2,700 because its now been used by which means less likely he'd take it back...and could be considered my fault.
20180712_151358.jpg

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
You bought a 10 year old four-stroke race bike from a stranger. Unless you take it apart and measure things all you can do is guess. You have to decide if the guy you bought it from is in anyway qualified to determine the true condition of the engine. Most riders aren't so that's a tough starting point. You also have to determine if he is being honest about the hours on the bike and the maintenance he performed. Once again most people selling a used race bike aren't particularly forthcoming.

You seem to you want a basically maintenance free or minimal maintenance bike which is understandable. If I'm correct in that assumption then I'd suggest that buying a 10 year old four-stroke race bike from someone other than a close friend who you know too excellent care of it is a really bad starting point.

A bike this old could be a cream puff or a time bomb. My 16 year old CRF450 is a cream puff, and I can assure you I never pulled a filter out of it that looked like that.

Top Bottom