Help Need help choosing a motocross bike for me

Aug 28, 2023
Central Maryland
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
6'0/230lbs

2) How physical / aggressive are you?
Work out 6 days a week, alternating strength training with light endurance every other day. I would say I’m moderately aggressive, I don’t like to do shit at 75%, 100% or nothing. I was in the Army for 20 yrs in a physical discipline, I’m not fat, just big and I’m not a typical old guy.

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or?
I plan to ride the local MX tracks in WV, PA and MD area.

4) Do you have any riding experience?
I don’t have MX experience but I do have a lot of off road experience. Growing up, our paintball wars were always on dirtbikes (YZ125’s) through high desert scrub and washes (dry river beds). I’ve also owned street-legal bikes throughout my life: KLR650, XR500L, current bike is a 2022 KTM 690 SMCr.

5) Do you think you will race?
My goal is to race in the old guy classes once I’m good enough. Before I ever set foot on a track, I’m going to attend at least two academies/schools that are MX focused. There’s a popular one in Ohio and one in Austin, TX that I’ve looked into.

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
I will be doing as much possible work on my bikes but will probably leave the complicated stuff to experts until I’ve learned enough. I plan to buy an older second bike and a shop manual and tear it apart and rebuild it.

7) Do YOU have a preference to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
I’ve been doing a lot of research and I’m considering a KTM 300 SX or any of the Japanese 250 4 stroke race bikes, knowing I’ll probably have to have some initial suspension work done. I’ve read/watched experts implore new riders to avoid getting a 450 4 stroke as a first MX bike and their reasoning seems solid.

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
There are many dealers in my area that sell all makes, so finding a bike shouldn’t be an issue at all.

9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
I don't have any financial limitations or specific budget.

10) Your age?
53 yrs

11) Do you live in California?
No, Central Maryland

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Excellent post! So good in fact, you've answered your own question. There's really not much to be added. I'll throw my 2 cents in anyway :p

(See number 7 above). I can't argue with anything you said. Among those brands, finding the least abused bike you can is a great place to start. Color doesn't matter. You don't want to go with anything too old, parts availability becomes a problem the older they get.

Other than that, don't skimp on gear. Buy the best helmet you can afford. Buy the best boots you can afford. Invest in knee braces. Many will argue that a neck brace is vital. Unfortunately, the older we get the easier we break and the longer it takes to heal.

Best of luck in whatever you decide. Don't be a stranger and let us know how it's going.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Hmmm, not sure how I missed this! I agree with Okie, nice post...and thank you for your service!

I would recommend a 300 2 stroke over a 250 four stroke for your size and weight. Not that a 4T can't haul you around but the 2T not only will have plenty of power but it also will be easier and cheaper to work on since it doesn't have all the extra stuff in the cylinder head. You can also easily adjust the power valve on a 2T to change the power delivery from gradual build up to a hard hit...not that easy to do with a 4T. If you have the chance to ride both, do it since it really is a personally preference.

Personally I'm a 2T guy and never really got into 4T so I always lean that way. I do know a lot of guys that have 4Ts and love them but when they get back on a 2T they had forgotten how much they liked them too.

And yes, proper gear!!! Dress for the crash!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom