Need help with a no spark problem HELP!!!!

protaper

Nov 4, 2009
Bike: 1976 yamaha DT175

Hello every one my names Colton and im new to these forums
i have a problem with a bike i have i picked this bike up a little bit ago for $150 it was outside for a while but now its in my basment as im doing a restore kinda i pulled the motor cleaned everything i got a new coil,clucth,wiring harness and igniton switch the bike has really good compresion but im not getting any spark i have no idea why i have been tinkering with it for weeks figured maybe someone here could help me out ill get zapped if i touch my finger to the coil wire that connects to the spark plug but when i plug the spark plug in and touch it to the frame or head i dont get any spark so basiclly it will zap you but no spark i put new points in a new condenser could it be the motors not grounded or something idk any help would be great

Last edited:

sharky243

Dec 14, 2008
Start with the basics, 1st disconect the kill switch. 2nd make sure all connections are clean and tight. 3rd check your grounds. 4th inspect your wireing harness for breaks or shorts. 5th check the magnets inside the flywheel, make sure they are strong. 5th check the stator plate timing, it has to be in the right position for it to work properly. 6th check and adjust your point gap, then take a clean peice of paper and clean the points. 7th check the generator coils under the flywheel for proper resistance, also look for broken or shorted wires. 8th check the secondary ignition coil for proper resistance and be sure it is grounded properly. Make sure the spark plug is good, also check the spark plug boot. Hope this helps !!!

protaper

Nov 4, 2009
what wires need to be grounded? and on my wiring harness theres 3 plugs one into the motor one to the headlight bucket and then theres a third plug that dosent hook up to anything? idk its wierd but anything would help me i really wanna get this bike running BAD!!!! i did notice that some of the magnets on the fly wheel are stronger then the others could this be a problem? idk im going to do my best to get pictures if anyone could take a look at them and try and help me out that would be great

SMarquez

Aug 9, 2002
It might just be the spark plug cap. If your coil wire is long enough you can cut the cap off right at the cap and buy one that has a screw that twists into the conductor in the old wire. It's a cheap way to check.

Top Bottom