new bike, didn't break it in properly..

sxryda250

Jun 18, 2014
Hey guys I'm new here and here is my situation. I bought a 2014 ktm 250 sx today, and once I got it home I rode it for a little over an hour. I opened up the throttle a few times, but nothing to serious. I just read that I should have done the heat variation method, but it's a little to late for that.

More bad news.. I stalled out after about an hour of riding, it took a lot of kicking to get it going again. I started to head for home when the engine started revving really high like a weed whacker running out of gas, and the engine cut off again.

I realize I made a ton of mistakes and I feel like a moron, but I couldn't resist riding it for so long. I haven't tried to start it again, and once I fill up the tank tomorrow I'm going to do the heat variation method.

My question to all the pros out there is: How bad did I mess up my new bike? What should I do now?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
There are as many that believe "break-in" is BS as believe it's mandatory, it's another internet dead-horse. An hour and a few wide-open throttle blips aren't going to hurt you anyway. No reason to sweat it, you're fine. You can still run through some heat cycles if it make you feel better.

You didn't mess up the bike. You're fine.

sxryda250

Jun 18, 2014
For my first maintenance I heard that I should change the engine/gearbox oil after the first hour because there might be metal shards in it from all the parts setting. What do you think? I checked the air filter and it's still spotless, but I'll prolly clean the chain also.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
For my first maintenance I heard that I should change the engine/gearbox oil after the first hour because there might be metal shards in it from all the parts setting. What do you think? I checked the air filter and it's still spotless, but I'll prolly clean the chain also.

Yes. change the oil after an hour or so.
Yes, they could be manufacturing junk in there.

Top Bottom