CBHVR6

Apr 30, 2010
Hello, i'm new to the forum and fairly new to dirtbikes. My name is Corey. I'm married with 2 kids. 1 year old and 4. My 4 year old has a 2003 JR50 with training wheels. I don't have a bike of my own yet, but my brother in law lives with me and he has 3.
2003 TT-R90
2003 TT-R125
2003 TT-R225

I am looking at a new WR-250F
I am going to answer the 12 questions and let you help me with my decision. Thanks!

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)

6' 225lbs

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?

fairly aggressive, but riding for fun.

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????

no tracks, woods and trails often, fields with friends.

4) Do you have any riding experience?

not much, but i'm very comfortable and confident

5) Do you think you will race ?

no racing, just fun

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?

i will do the work myself, unless its something i'm not comfortable with

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?

4 stroke

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?

i have a kawasaki dealer very close. and yamaha, suzuki, honda pretty close too

9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?

6k tops

10) Do you live in California?

no, PA

11) Your age?

12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

already leaning strongly towards wr250f

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
The WR-250F would be a good bike for you. The wide ratio transmissions are good for trail and the suspension is first rate. It has a full size frame so it is the best size for your height & weight.

Rod

YZ__rider

Jan 16, 2010
The WRs are great bikes...I just sold my YZ400 and bought a '01 WR 426. The bike looks like it has 40 hours. I love the bike. It has good power down low and tons of mid-high range. I am curious, with little experience, why are you choosing to buy a brand new bike? There are many good used bikes for sale...if you know what to look for.

CBHVR6

Apr 30, 2010
thanks for the reply. it would be much better to get a used bike, you're right. but i don't have the cash and i have to finance it. So i figured i'd be better off financing a new bike and it be mine from new then to try to finance a used bike.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
CBHVR6 said:
thanks for the reply. it would be much better to get a used bike, you're right. but i don't have the cash and i have to finance it. So i figured i'd be better off financing a new bike and it be mine from new then to try to finance a used bike.

You'll be MUCH better off going through a bank on your own to get a conventional loan. Don't fall for the $xx/mo payment deals. You'll end up with a 3 year old bike you still owe 6k on and then your payment will be higher than it would have if you'd have just got a regular bank loan. If you can score a really low rate through the dealer on a fixed term loan that might be better.

The WR would be a great bike just as an XR, DRZ or KDX would. Unfortunately the off road bikes tend to be fewer in the used market, can get pretty neglected over time and bring pretty good money. If you can swing a new one and get it paid off in a few years you'll better off than buying a 5 year old 250f with unkown run time that could grenade on you and end up costing almost as much as a new one would have.

Good luck and let us know how you make out. We love pics......

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Here's a novel idea....

Save up for a used bike and avoid getting screwed over by financing it.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
My general recommendation is to NOT finance toys in general. You finance a house to live in, you might need to finance a car to get you to work but you shouldn't finance a toy. Put a couple hundred a month aside and start searching. It may take a year but but eventually your savings are going to match a deal you find and then you are good. Now you can spend that couple hundred a month on actually riding instead of making payments for the next 5 years.

I know a bunch of people who bought their toys on credit and now they can't afford to use them so they just sit, and they can't sell them because they owe more than their worth so they just keep on making payments and don't get to use them at all.

There are some really good used bikes out there that will probably cost about the same as the down payment you would have to make on that brand new bike.

Don't forget that you will need to buy the riding gear. Don't even think of riding without helmet, goggles and riding boots. I highly recommend a chest protector and gloves. Riding pants will withstand the abuse much better than jeans so they can be a cost saver in the long run. Often times you can find a deal on a bike where the seller is willing to throw in all his riding gear, so if you happen to be the same size it can be a killer deal.

I bought my first bike about 7 years ago, a 1986 Yamaha YZ-125. I paid $600 for it, and got a helmet, chest protector, boots and gloves in the deal. I just sold that bike a couple of months ago for $500. It was a great bike and served me well. Not the easiest bike to learn on but I managed. The only break downs I had were things that would have happened just as easily on a brand new bike.

Rod

CBHVR6

Apr 30, 2010
well, the financing didn't work and you have a good point anyway. I bought my brother in laws ttr225 for 600 and needs alittle work. Its not a WR but its mine.

YZ__rider

Jan 16, 2010
I couldnt agree more with Rod and Okiewan. Finance your house and car, but never finance a toy. I could pay cash for any dirt bike on the market, but I ride 9-10 year old bikes, why? Because they are toys, they arent a place to rest your head or transportation to get to work. You can find some really good deals out there on used bikes if 1) you are patient 2) you know what you are doing. I have never bought a bike new and never will unless I win the lottery.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
CBHVR6 said:
well, the financing didn't work and you have a good point anyway. I bought my brother in laws ttr225 for 600 and needs alittle work. Its not a WR but its mine.
Getting loans these days is much harder than in recent years, especially for toys. Be glad it didn't work out! You got a good bike to learn on, both how to ride and how to work on. And like you said, it's YOURS!!! :yeehaw:

Congrats.

gunz

May 6, 2010
Dont finance a drit bike. that is just ignorant. Look on craigslist and you local pape rfor one you can pay cash for. Finincing a dirtbike is like throwing $100 bills out the window.

Pushin50

Dec 18, 2006
I have eleven dirt bikes, two snowmobiles, a mule and a quad. Some bought new and some bought used. All were financed and all are paid for. It can be a good idea to finance but only if the deal is good and the rate is reasonable.

gunz

May 6, 2010
Like I sadi its throwing money away. I have 5 bikes now a pickup adn a car, plus 3 other bikes at my parents. NONE were finainced. I dont believe in wasting money when you dont need to.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
There is no good deal / rate if you finance a toy! NONE! Anybody that thinks so has never done the math or has never worked a cash deal. Try it some time you'll kick yourself in the butt for all the $$ you WASTED spending somebody else's money for instant gratification.

YZ__rider

Jan 16, 2010
Pushin50...how much do you think those financed toys cost you? Have you ever looked at your statements and calculated the amount of interested you paid? It doesnt take a degree in Finance (which I have) to understand that financing a toy doesnt make any sense. Financing a car or a house is a different story, although I believe in paying cars off and driving them for years afterward.

gunz

May 6, 2010
I just saved till I could pay cash whene I was young and wanted toys. You can make MUCH better deals paying cash and you money has been in the bank making you money up till then, Not someone else. I got so tired os seeing how much interest in being paid for toys adn cars I made myself save to set up to pay cash for everything except my house. Bought the wifes car in 2009 ( left over 2008) and got it for $6000 less than the asking price because I wasnt trading anything in and I was making 1 payment only and it was done. Saved a ton off the sticker price and saved alot from interest. I will never finance a vehicle of any sort over again.look thru your statments, you will be angry afterwards when you realize you bought a $5000 bike and ended up paying $9000 after financing.

Another point, Some of the guys I rode with bought new and financed and now have changed their mind abougth riding, Unfortunatley due to really high depreciation, They owe WAY more than their machines are worth.

Top Bottom