New kx125 2007...Top End replacement

bchuter

Jan 19, 2007
So i have decided to get a dirt bike and i am very new to this all, so i decided on a Kawasaki kx125 2007 (Not sold in US or Australia anymore). My brother rides a 2006 kx450F but wow that thing is just way to powerful for me so hence the fact that i went with a kx125. After reading up about 2 strokes, i heard that i will have to redo the top end every 15 hours (average). Well if this is so then how much will this be costing me every time i have to redo the top end. I don't ride full taps all the time and mostly only hit about 3/4 throttle as im still getting comfortable on the bike. Any info on this will be a great help as this has cost me alot of money as i have bought this brand new out the box.

Kevin003

Jul 5, 2005
You won't have to replace the top end every 15hours unless your racing. I have over 80hrs on mine and its still in spec. Its a different bike but still. Other than that a top end costs about 110$ for parts and is quite easy so you can install them yourself.

bchuter

Jan 19, 2007
That is such a relief cause i had visions of spending a weekend every 3rd or 4th month replacing the top end.
So what kind of riding do you do, just so that i can compare with my riding habbits?
Also how do you check to make sure you are still in spec on the piston?
Sorry about all the questions but as i said im very new to this sport.
So even if i dont have any mechanical experience do you think that i could achieve a top end rebuild with the correct guidance?
Thanks for your response by the way. (I feel way better about my purchase now)

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
I play ride about 2-3 times a week from March/April to October November. Probably 2-4 hours of actual seat time per week. Woods, MX, open fields.

Race about 2-3 times a month - one or two classes each event. 5 lap practice, 5 lap heat, 5 lap main per class. That's about 20-25 minutes of actual seat time on the track per class.

I do the piston and ring ($80-120) in the winter, ring only ($25) in mid summer. No problems in two seasons on the bike.

MX86

Dec 27, 2006
i do a top end when the compression starts to slip. the last time i did a topend in my bike was 3 years ago. my race bike on the other hand gets a new top-end every month or other month depending on how hard i run it

bchuter

Jan 19, 2007
Thanks for all the replys guys. This has put me at ease and the cost of a top end replacment is to bad if im not racing. So this is very much affordable.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom