MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Well if you saw this thread:
http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?threadid=67169
then you already know I recently was the recipient of an early Christmas present in the form of a brand new '02 400 SX.

I already have the awesome EE handguards installed and have the CDI relocator and clutch cover guard on the way.

I am looking for which skid plate (full coverage) to get and also any other tips, tricks, adjustments etc. Anything you can think of for a new 400SX owner. It looks like changing the oil will take a little longer (2 filters and 2 screens) and be a little messy and I don't care for the front tire (M77).

STRICK , Bundy, Michigan Crew - watcha got for me ??

Last edited:

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Thanks bill :)

I'll probably get the EE clutch lever for sure but it'll be awhile. With new plugs, air filters, oil filters, skid plates etc on the 'must have' list there will be a few niceties that'll just have to wait.

What oil are you folks running? Also, anyone here have problems with the oil screens (not the filters) seizing up?

mxbundy

Sponsoring Member
Feb 16, 2001
Hemet, CA.
WooooHooooo,

I already replied to the other thread about the gearing.SO here is some more tips.
Set up your sag on the shock, it is critical for sharp steering. No more than 35mm static sag and no more than 100mm laden sag. I know that is not the way that most people do this, but trusy me the steering response will be great. Before I set mine up the front end pushed alot, even after I changed the crappy front tire.Michman I believe said you can tighten uptatic sag even more.
I dont know if you need a sparky or not, but if you do I recommend MOTO-PRO billet end cap with sparky insert. Works great and costs alot less than a new pipe. Plus it keeps the bike quiet like stock!
I like the EE carbon fiber skid plate, Endoquest had one on his bike and it looks great.
Dont go crazy on all the aftermarket stuff, the bike will work amazingly well stock.
If you dont want to change the rear sprocket, at least get the 13 tooth front sprocket. I just recently changed the rear.
I run Mobil 1 oil, MX4T 10w40. Desert -Racer uses Mobil 1 red cap 15w50.
The screens will come out every time, just use a socket style allen wrench on the bottom one, this way you can hit it with a hammer and release the stress. thats what makes them hard to remove.
But I only clean them every couple of oil changes, I have never found any debries in them.

bundy

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
TTRGuy, Welcome to the Pumpkin Patch!!!  I'll make sure Michman is aware of your new bike and he can add to the "advice".

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Eddy! Welcome to the "Club Orange" See what happens when you ride Aimee's bike too much! Looks like you have the essential EE products on your list. If you ride da rocks you might also want to consider the EE shark fin too, but for sure the clutch guard, hand guards and DCI relocator.
Good for you Eddie!
Factory Freddy

YZandrew

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2001
One of the first things I added was a heat shield for the pipe/silencer junction. Its really easy to cook a boot in that spot.

Zoomer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 17, 2000
Way to go TTR!
Had the chance to spend a condiderable amount of time on the NEW 450SX! :yeehaw: last friday, also a new 450 F! Back to back testing.
at first I was head over heals for the F, the more I road the KTM, the more I liked it ,...even with the low seat and all. NEAT BIKES for sure. Gotta stay out of the KTM store till next fall though :(
:thumb:

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by mxbundy
WooooHooooo,

I already replied to the other thread about the gearing.SO here is some more tips.
Set up your sag on the shock, it is critical for sharp steering. Michman I believe said you can tighten uptatic sag even more.
I run Mobil 1 oil, MX4T 10w40. Desert -Racer uses Mobil 1 red cap 15w50.

bundy

Yep. Static sag at 25MM - Race sag at NMT 105MM.

Yep. They run RedCap. or M1 MX 4T - but after you break it in on reg oil I think

michman

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 7, 2000
Yep fred said it you should set static sag at 25mm and then your race sag should be at 95 - 105 if not you will ned a new spring. If you are looking to lights on that thing get ahold of me I have a stock fly wheel and stator rady to go of my bike. Mike

mxbundy

Sponsoring Member
Feb 16, 2001
Hemet, CA.
Michman,

Need a little advice here. After riding with a bunch of friends this past week who all ride 520`s, I have decided that I need more power.
What do you suggest?
Start with a pipe?
Big bore kit?
Cam?
Can you convert a 400 to a 520?

Or just sell and buy a 520?

bundy

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Just go through the trees while they take those big ol 520's around them. Fastest line is the straight one! :moon:

Git yerself one of those fancy smancy 525's and hang on.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Originally posted by fatherandson
Bundy on a 525.....no tree will be safe!!! :confused:

I was just thinking the same thing :debil:

michman

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 7, 2000
Bundy, Best to get ahold of at work I can explainit alot better over the phone. 517-393-2421 ask for Mike

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Michman, so if I understood that correctly I am to adjust the 'static sag' to 25 mm and then use the race sag numbers to verify that I have the correct spring, correct? Backwards from 'most' bikes right?

jho410

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2002
Unless I'm missing something, there is no CDI/DCI relocator option available for the four strokes ... or at least that's what EE just told me. It's only for 2 smokes. True?

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Originally posted by TTRGuy
Michman, so if I understood that correctly I am to adjust the 'static sag' to 25 mm and then use the race sag numbers to verify that I have the correct spring, correct? Backwards from 'most' bikes right?

Yes & no.
If you set your static sag @ 25mm And do not end up with the correct race sag, the spring is wrong. If you set your race sag correctly & do not end up with 25mm static you still have the wrong spring. ;)

I prefer starting with my static sag set correctly. The bike may ride poorly due to an incorrect spring rate, but it still will steer correctly.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I'm with ya FJ on the fact that no matter the order if the second one isn't within a certain amount then the spring is too soft or stiff but ... is the rest of that true with the KTM rear susp ?? Seems like I even recall Jeremy having an opinion one way or the other.

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
Great suspension advice&nbsp;in previous post, if you have any&nbsp;power preferences,..just give JD a ring for some jetting mods. The&nbsp;power curve can be made to suit! :thumb: &nbsp;

michman

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 7, 2000
You can do either way but if the numbers don't add up correctly you need a different spring. Basically set the static sag at 25-35 mm I personally like 25mm. Then measure race sag. should be 95-105 if not you need a different spring. This is the way I like to explain to people.

Top Bottom