scottwagnermd

Nov 30, 2004
Wow, this place has to be one of the nicest, helpful forums around. I'm new to dirtbikes, having just gotten a 01 yz250f. Used to ride around an early 80's 350XL on my grandparents farm as a kid. Dad would get pissed every time I broke off the turn signals. :laugh: Looking for some riders to show me the ropes or just collectively sling some clay. I'm a big skier and have found that imitation is the best way to learn, and still take a lot of novice/intermediate skiers with me on trips. Now I'm on the other end of the stick with this one. Bike is getting tuned, wife is getting worried, and my brother in law is getting jealous. Any help on places to ride or times when a friendly face would be around on a local MX track would be greatly appreciated. I don't think the neighbors are going to tolerate me zooming around the 'hood much longer. Thx
Scott

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Welcome!

If you're willing to travel a bit, we frequently ride near Charlotte and Augusta.

We even have Ivan to demonstrate how *not* to ride!

scottwagnermd

Nov 30, 2004
Thanks for the reply. Definitely willing to travel! In fact, I'm going to be over your way this weekend doing the NASCAR driving school with my brother and father in law. Anytime after that, please shoot me an email and I'd love to meet you guys. scottwagner -at- nc -dot- rr -dot- com
Thanks again,
Scott

va_yzrider

Apr 28, 2003
You sir, are a lucky man. Raleigh (well, the general area) has some great tracks! My favorite is Archer Lodge (MotoX Park East). I think it is only about 20 minutes from Raleigh. There are a bunch of friendly guys there to help you out and some really fast guys to watch. Here is their website : http://www.motoxparkeast.com/main/?src=1

There is also Cowbranch (http://www.cowbranchmx.com) and NC Motorsports park (http://www.ncmotorsportspark.com/). NC Motorsports park is fairly new and they are still in the building phase, but they have a pretty nice beginner/intermediate track with no gaps at all (all the jumps are tabletops).

If you ever want to meet me at Archer Lodge, let me know (yzrider@comcast.net). I'm always looking for an excuse to go down there.

scottwagnermd

Nov 30, 2004
Thanks so much. Definitely look you up soon for a trip to Archer's Lodge. That was high on my list of places to go. I just dread being the slow guy on the circuit...I see you're from VA, more than welcome to crash here in Raleigh if you need to.
thx,
scott

va_yzrider

Apr 28, 2003
scottwagnermd said:
Thanks so much. Definitely look you up soon for a trip to Archer's Lodge. That was high on my list of places to go. I just dread being the slow guy on the circuit...I see you're from VA, more than welcome to crash here in Raleigh if you need to.
thx,
scott

:cool: Don't worry about being the slow guy. There will be people of equal ability there. I watched one guy over the course of a few weeks who just got into riding and was having a tough time on the first day. Well, after three weeks I was blown away by the progress he had made. I think it was partially due to the track, b/c there is sand, hardpack, and some nice loamy sections. I think it sped up the learning curve for him to ride in all the different soil types on the same day. The track is awesome with a full irrigation system. They maintain the track extremely well and seem to groom it daily. Plus, it only costs $10! Don't be intimidated by the jumps on the track, you will progress faster than you think b/c the jumps are really safe and well laid out.

ProMed

Sep 17, 2004
Hello, I live in Winston-Salem. Headed up to Birch Creek or Lake Sugar Tree (both in VA) this Saturday and Thunder Valley (Yadkinville) on Sunday. These are both MX tracks, but I have been wanting to check out the Brushy Mtn Motosports Park trails before it gets too cold, but I need a spark arrestor first.
Email me sometime,
promed_solutions@yahoo.com

Top Bottom