Mark W

May 12, 2004
I've searched the site for these answers and as is expected, some differing opinion on these questions. Hope you don't mind me asking these again.

I recently bought my son his 2nd dirt bike, a 2003 KX65 that had 3 tanks of gas run through it. I've put it away for the winter and it will reappear on Christmas day. His old bike was a klx110 whhich was a good bike to learn on but hge outgrew it quickly and the bike is now almost dangerous as it can't keep up with him.

Being new to 2 strokes (bough me a KDX220 last year), I have some questions:

1. What do you use for gear oil? 10-40 is recommended by Kawasaki buty I have found with my KDX that other oiles work better.

2. What about pre-mix. Once again, Kawi recommends 32:1. They do the same on the KDX but I have been going with the Mobil synthetic at 40 or 50:1 on the recommendation of many on Canadian Dave's site. I like the mobil as it has no somke and no spooge. I have read here that the KX65 really needs to be at 32:1

3. Any recommendations on starting points for jetting? Bike will not be used for racing but mainly for his enjoyment riding many tracks in the area. I live in MN and the elevation is about 900ft above sea level I believe.

I'll be tearing into the thing to re-lube (or in the case of kawi's) lube the whole suspension prior to riding.

Anything else I should be aware of on this bike prior to springtime? Thanks for the help.

Mark

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Mark W said:
1. What do you use for gear oil? 10-40 is recommended by Kawasaki buty I have found with my KDX that other oiles work better.

I use Type F in my son's KX65. Works fine.

Mark W said:
2. What about pre-mix. Once again, Kawi recommends 32:1. They do the same on the KDX but I have been going with the Mobil synthetic at 40 or 50:1 on the recommendation of many on Canadian Dave's site. I like the mobil as it has no somke and no spooge. I have read here that the KX65 really needs to be at 32:1

I run Mobil-1 at 32:1 in the 65.

Mark W said:
3. Any recommendations on starting points for jetting? Bike will not be used for racing but mainly for his enjoyment riding many tracks in the area. I live in MN and the elevation is about 900ft above sea level I believe.

I found that the stock jetting works well (no mods on my son's KX). Of course many things can influence jetting so use your best judgement.

Mark W said:
Anything else I should be aware of on this bike prior to springtime?

My son's KX65 has worked/performed much like any KX would. With some simple and routine maintenance, it should hold up quite well.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
We have never had a 65 but we had the Kawi 80. We found that the bike really like ATF type F in the tranny and we also ran pretty much any cheap 10-40 without issues. More important that what you run is how often you change it out. I'd be reluctant to run any mx bike at less than 32:1 other than 250's and up. I'm in Manitoba so similar conditions for you and found that most of the Kawi mini's were fairly close on the jetting so you will be able to ride it and fine tune it after you get some time on it.

Top Bottom