mojonito

Aug 24, 2005
So after a three year hiatus I picked up an 09 KX450 a few months ago. Being in medical school does not give me a lot of free time with this weekend being my first off since July. To say I was a little ecstatic about riding would be akin to calling a whopper and fries kind of bad for you. Anyways, I managed to escape being on call this weekend and ran home to get my bike. I got the bike on the hitch carrier, put my tools and gear in the SUV, and took off to Trophy Club. I get there and unloaded my bike and start putting on my gear and I realized I had a problem. My boots were sitting next to the garage door at home. All I have are my Dansko's that I wear at the hospital. So I figure I have a brand new bike- I will just break it in easy and go home (like that is going to happen after a three year hiatus). I quickly encountered my second problem. Apparently, it was a torrential downpour at Trophy Club the other night. After I did one short ride and engine cool down I decided to try some trails. There were points that I was little worried the airbox was going to suck in water I got so deep. So I decided against destroying my new bike on the first day amd I went over to the track where I could at least stay out of the water. I learned my first four stroke lesson there. Don't grab a handful of throttle on a 450 to try and get in the power like a two stroke. Cause the power is there. Always.

Lesson learned but that was one hell of a unexpected and fun wheelie.

After a few laps I started feeling comfortable on the bike so I started going a little faster and you could say I was a little complacent with riding on the mud. I came out of a turn in second and I got on the gas on a straight with some mud in the center and all of the sudden I felt the rear start sliding to my right just like I was on a dirt track taking a turn except I was going completely straight. The bike slowly low sided and I with it and we slid side by side for probably thirty feet or more. It was actually really fun. Wouldn't you know it, I had the place to myself all day but right at that moment a father and son had showed up at that exact moment. After realizing my pride was the only thing hurt and went and said hi. Myself and the engine were packed with mud so I made one short lap to try and clean myself and the bike off by riding through some shallow water and then called it quits. It was not the best bike break in I have ever had, and I probably looked like all hell covered in mud with full gear on and some hospital clogs, but I sure did have a good time.

Anyways, I am by no means fast but neither am I slow. If anyone in the DFW area wants to go for a ride shoot me a PM, if I can get the time off I would love to join you.

-Henry

fatcat216v2

Aug 29, 2009
That IS funny. I was rather expecting the catastrophic med school get a weekend off ended up in the hospital kind of laugh...but... this one was okay too. ;-)

Top Bottom