Not another jetting question...

Jeppy

Jul 21, 2000
Last year when I got my 01 CR250, I wimped out of the Mikuni jetting debate and decided to buy a Kehin 38 PWK from Carbparts.com

I went a step leaner on the pilot jet than was devlivered stock and all was fine. It spooges a little, but I ride woods and decided to accept it.

Flash forward to this year. After meticulous maintenance over the winter and throwing more than enough spare change at my bike, I notice that when I turned the gas on, the carb started to dribble, then the dribble turned to a flood.

Well, I'm old and wise enough to fix this, I thought :D . A gentle tapping on the carb housing will fix that. Wrong. Tear down carb and clean the thing, turns out the float needle had gone south.

Oh well, I thought, I have a perfectly good Mikuni carb sitting on the shelf....why not slap that in a give 'er a go. And in the meantime, I'll order up a new jet needle for the Kehin, and while I'm at it, I'll order up some jets for the Mikuni.

Now I have learned the all the Mikuni jetting stories are real. This :debil: thing is a nightmare! :eek:

I can't get the thing to stall...which is totaling foreign to me. I am used to zero idle on CRs. Turning the air screw does nothing. I have tried the stock slow jet (35) all the way down to a 25 and it does not change. I settled on the high idle and put a 30 slow jet in. It actually runs very well, very crisp and lots of bark. The only thing is the darn high idle.

Should I live with it, or does anyone have any ideas what's wrong??

Oh yea...does anyone make a slow jet between a 30 and 35? Like about a 32.5???

Thanks!

Jep

Last edited:

motodawg

Sponsoring Member
May 1, 2002
cr25096er is on to something.. my '95 YZ250 had a Kehin and to adjust the idle you turned the choke (rich circuit) knob. Give it a shot!

Zig-Zag

Nov 1, 2000
There is an idle screw on the Mikuni TMX carb for the 01'Cr250. The kehin has the choke/idle knob. I have messed with the pilot on my bike because of all the spooge dripping from the pipe junction and this is what I found. At my elevation (900ft.) I had a 27.5 with the AS at 1 1/4 but I have since went to a 30 pilot, AS at 2 out, h2-75 needle, 2nd clip from top and a 420 main. If you can't get the idle right with the 30 pilot you are getting too much air. Verify that the airbox seal between the boot and the box is intact. I had to remove my box, seperate the boot from it and re-seal it when I first got my bike. Feel free to e-mail me if you want me to compare set-ups as we are at about the same elevation! Good luck m'freind.

Zig-Zag

Nov 1, 2000
PS!!! I forgot to mention that I have cut my slide too. That shouldn't have anything to do with the idle but will make a dfference just off idle. My engine is all stock except for the FMF fatty pipe. Sorry for the f*-up

Top Bottom