nitro5185

Apr 25, 2003
Every once in a while me and my brother, mainly me hit nuetral while shifting from 1st to 2nd. I have already had the tranny apart and checked every thing out, it was all fine and up to spec. My bike is a 83 CR125 and he has a 80 KX 80. I was wondering if any one knows if these years/bikes are known for shifting problems, or if anyone elses does this on other bikes? Please HELP. Thankx

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Now this may sound silly but if your gear lever is at a funny angle like fairly high you may simply just not be regularly lifting your foot high enough or it may rub against the case slightly to prevent full travel. Make sure the lever bites onto the spline tight.

It can help as a technique to load the lever with your foot, not touch the clutch & cut the throtle; once the load is removed it will change.

The change from 1-2nd is the longest physically as the shift star has to travel over the neutral position. Esp if the lever is rubbing against something. Sometimes a weak detent spring (which rides the wheel on the star) will exacerbate the problem.

If there is damage to the gears then the places to look are the engaging fingers that mesh into the slots of the gears. Little bit rounded or angled? The problem is this damage will tend to push the gear back out rather than engaging.

These can be undercut so the gears pull together, however care is required to avoid pulling them so they move too close. Also the shift dogs may be bent so they don’t mesh far enough in. Talk to a decent tuner if you have them apart again.

hrc125rider

Aug 22, 2003
this sometimes happens to me and my friends and it seems like when we are in a really hi rpm it doesnt seem to engage in 2nd gear causing us to hit neatral.

cr25096er

Apr 16, 2002
What HRC ment or at least in my case (97yz125) is if I hit netural n pin it the engine is singing and when u bump it up to 2nd it takes a second or another shift to get it into gear(sometimes i end up in 3rd gear). I figure this is normal bec w/ the engine turning that high of an rpm it would be killer on the shift dogs and stuff.

Top Bottom